Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying home the groceries

Re: Carrying home the groceries

It's funny to hear the young guy panting while Brad sounds relaxed.....lol...

Wow what a great video you did a great job of putting the video together and telling the story thanks for posting. And to your friend that buck was a trophy well earned with hard work.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Good stuff as usual 45! Your tribute to Brad is something thats hard to describe, but I know how brad feels about it! I am a mirror image of Brad. The mountains are much bigger and I spend more and more time solo in them. The adventure is the hunt for me and the taking of an animal is something I would rather not! My 20something year old son just finished a solo moose hunt that ended in 3 trips totaling 24km to pack it out. I felt bad for him at first when he inreached me. That turned to a smile as I knew as a dad, I had done my job well!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose63 View Post
    It's funny to hear the young guy panting while Brad sounds relaxed.....lol...
    Right? Brad is a triathlete so his cardio is on point and certainly puts mine to shame. Also doesn't help that I have a severely deviated septum and the mic is inches from my face, I definitely need to address some audio issues in the future and that's one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Good stuff as usual 45! Your tribute to Brad is something thats hard to describe, but I know how brad feels about it! I am a mirror image of Brad. The mountains are much bigger and I spend more and more time solo in them. The adventure is the hunt for me and the taking of an animal is something I would rather not! My 20something year old son just finished a solo moose hunt that ended in 3 trips totaling 24km to pack it out. I felt bad for him at first when he inreached me. That turned to a smile as I knew as a dad, I had done my job well!
    Yup, a job well done dad, congratulations to your boy...hopefully he brought you some steaks!

Thanks to everyone taking the time to watch, it means a lot! I don't make any money off these videos but when I hear that they resonate with people on a personal level or change peoples outlook on hunting/hunters it makes all the work that goes into them worth it.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Great post Freezer, yes you get to an age when you start to think a little more about every step you make.
    Congrats to you both, Awesome Buck.

Neat video and congrats to you two! The lack of a nearby water source sure made the hunt a lot harder!

And 57 is young. I've got 11 yrs on Brad and still bowhunt the mountains every year. Packing is tougher but still doable. Hope to go many more years.

At over 60 I look up the hillside not down for the animals. It easier to drag down than lug up.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Awesome video!

wow that was some gnarly and steep terrain! great job on the video and hunt. i really admired the calm resolve and confidence of your hunting partner, i'm sure you learned a ton. congrats on a nice buck and a great adventure!

You guys are true testaments to the statement "you're only as old as you feel," I can only hope I'm still getting after it in the mountains when I'm in my late 60's myself. I've been thinking a lot about making this a yearly thing, Blockcaver you just let me know whenever that pack starts getting tough to shoulder, at 68 you're definitely prime candidate #1!

Appreciate all you guys taking the time to check it out and in no way did I mean to call/make anyone feel "old"...I don't see Brad as old, he's just aging like all of us are and luckily recognized it before getting into a potentially tough situation. He still smokes me in the endurance and cardio department and in my opinion is at a level of fitness that most people in their early 40s could only aspire to reach. I'm sure he has a lot of hunts left in him and hopefully I can pack out a few more bucks for him over the years, I think it's just as rewarding if not more so than carrying out your own kill.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear