Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying home the groceries

Carrying home the groceries

My friend Brad is 57. He still has crazy endurance in the mountains but he knows his body isn't quite what it used to be and that setting himself up for an early season solo pack out could potentially be irresponsible at this stage in the game. I'm a young able bodied man and was always taught that if you see an older person struggling with their groceries to give them a hand. Brad wanted to prove to himself that he can still get after it in the mountains this year, with the size of the buck harvested being secondary to the overall challenge of the hunt. I offered to pack out the bulk of the meat knowing that I would not only be helping him accomplish his current goal but also would most likely learn a thing or two about hunting mule deer in the process. I'm an adult onset hunter and spent a lot of my early hunting years learning as much as I could about bears as far as their behavior, habitat, where to find them at what times of the year etc. I learned a lot and got decent at getting close and putting sharp sticks through bears but now it's time to expand...you can read as much as you want online but there's no better way to get proficient at something than time in the field learning from the guys that have done it for years. I'm thoroughly impressed with Brad's endurance and persistence in the mountains at his age...many hunters wouldn't look twice at this buck if they saw it through their spotter but I know Brad will treasure far more than just the rack every time he looks at the new skull hanging in his ponderosa pine, some trophies have absolutely nothing to do with size.

I definitely did learn a few things along the way, I managed to come to full draw on two separate bucks and although the stars didn't quite align for me I know the knowledge gained will last a lot longer than the meat ever would have. Time to apply it and add some antlers to the bear skull collection!

I also put together a short film of what may be one of his last mountain hunts so that even when his body can't keep up anymore he can still look back on the good ol' days when he used run ridges like a muley himself. Enjoy!

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Carrying home the groceries

Well done, and your right it isn't always about the size of the animal it's about the process..

Good story to read. Thanks

Good story for sure, but 57 isn’t old.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    All depends on how you treat your body over the years I guess...I know guys in their 60s that could smoke me on the mountain, I also know guys in their 30s that couldn't make it halfway up to camp.

Thanks for taking the time to read and check out the photos guys, definitely check out the video as well when you get a chance!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Got that right. I hunt with an 84 year old. Damn crack shot he is.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

super hunt! Just the kind of thing I want to do!
    forever noob

I am slightly older but I am in decent shape for my age. I did move a big fridge this summer and I would be the first to admit I had to take a short rest. Odd feeling getting winded but it was hot out, and had to drag thew fridge over some hilly and uneven terrain (tree roots) Plus up a few stairs to get it in our house. All the while trying to make sure the fridge did not tip. Was quite a struggle. Taking the old fridge out was a breeze. It was down a couple stairs and down the hilly terrain. I also re-roofed our house 3 years ago by myself. I carried shingles up the ladder and although it took a month. I did it.

Great read. I'm just about 57 and I know I'm starting to second guess on some things that I wouldn't hesitate doing 10 years ago. Most things I go ahead albeit more cautiously but there been a couple where I've said I shouldn't do this alone.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Lot of truth in this post 45 Freezer ! I can’t do repetitive tasks anymore for work ,years and years of doing so has burnt out my upper body joints ,wrists ,shoulders .Legs seem good though ,but have a bunion on my right big toe that is causing me grief ,tried the orthotics etc. The writing is on the wall, surgery is needed .

Great of you too help your buddy out !
    Arctic Lake

s
    Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    All depends on how you treat your body over the years I guess...I know guys in their 60s that could smoke me on the mountain, I also know guys in their 30s that couldn't make it halfway up to camp.

Thanks for taking the time to read and check out the photos guys, definitely check out the video as well when you get a chance!
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-23-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !