Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who’s going hunting this weekend? Going to be great conditions!

Re: Who’s going hunting this weekend? Going to be great conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Started high up west of Clinton (probably 5,000', so not super high) - lots of snow, colds as can be (big fire Friday night!)

Two weeks ago we were crunching through this area in T-shirts and found nothing but moose and deer sign. Saw a calf and cow and bumped some does and saw a bunch more.

Now? Nothing. Fresh snow, cold as can be, no tracks in the woods, no tracks crossing the road, no beds, nothing.

Walked a couple miles back in the woods, still nothing.

Dropped elevation a bit. Still no good. Hit another area where we found sign during early October. No good.

Feeling a bit like a potential vegetarian we dropped down even further. I had a new hunter with me and figured I better show him some deer, so we went down to the rancher's field. No shortage of does, and no shortage of sheep - even one ram that looked like a shooter. No bucks, and it's private alfalfa fields anyway.

But...we started finding all kinds of sign. Later that afternoon found a couple two pointers in the sagebrush/pine transition and connected! Got them cleaned and back to camp, hung them up and skinned them and then had dinner and hit the hay.

-20 overnight. Frozen solid! Way easier to handle a frozen deer

Question we speculated on: both bucks were very similar in size and antlers, and #2 didn't want to leave in a big hurry when #1 hit the deck. That made us wonder - were they hanging around because they were brothers? Tough to determine, obviously, but anyone have any insight on that?
    Never thought about it that way.
    I suppose they could be or have just spent the better part of the summer together and the other didnt know any better.
    I remember seeing a Documentary on great whites.
    And yes, 2 brothers (twins due to identical markings) did swim together and they were in their teen years, so guess they were doing it for some time.
    So yup, could be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    My lady and I got out for 2 of the 3 day moose gos, I gotta say, in my 30+ years of time spent on the trapline, Iv never seen moose sign like what we see. I don’t know if it’s no guides, no leh, or the wolf cull that went on near by, or the big snow from 2 years ago (killed off many wolves), but it’s no doubt, in the area, the moose have come back, in numbers.
    On the last evening of the last day, carolbear83 (she signs on once in a while) made a text book shot with her new to her .308 browning micro medallion! Gotta love a gal who knows how to getter dun , we will be eating well again, this winter.

Cool Congrats to your wife and you. May just be the picture angle but the left antler sure looks thick/heavy, you think this was just a 2 year old or some thing older.

Great looking threesome there.
    But what is the wife looking at? Not the camera.
    Congrats

The bucks are moving good in Princeton. My coworker and his camp bagged 3 in 5 days. Nothing big but puts meat in their freezers. Two out of three were taken by getting off the roads by only a couple hundred yards.

My daughter got her leh muley doe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shana Muley Doe .jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	8134  

Awesome congrats
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    Good for her! You'll have some delicious eating.
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    Love that. Cant wait to do the same with mine

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Cool Congrats to your wife and you. May just be the picture angle but the left antler sure looks thick/heavy, you think this was just a 2 year old or some thing older.
    Thank you, I kinda thought it was a 2 year old, we never weighed it but I’d guess 300-350 lbs dressed.

I was successful!

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004