Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who’s going hunting this weekend? Going to be great conditions!

Re: Who’s going hunting this weekend? Going to be great conditions!

Was planning on going out for the weekend but thought it may be a bit much for my kids who wanted to come...they are still pretty young.

Took two of them out locally and got a couple of ducks instead!

congrats to all who connected!
    it was weird, a usual dead ringer muley october spot in 8-12 was a bust. not even a sniff of a deer. 30cm of snow...

My lady and I got out for 2 of the 3 day moose gos, I gotta say, in my 30+ years of time spent on the trapline, Iv never seen moose sign like what we see. I don’t know if it’s no guides, no leh, or the wolf cull that went on near by, or the big snow from 2 years ago (killed off many wolves), but it’s no doubt, in the area, the moose have come back, in numbers.
    On the last evening of the last day, carolbear83 (she signs on once in a while) made a text book shot with her new to her .308 browning micro medallion! Gotta love a gal who knows how to getter dun , we will be eating well again, this winter.

^^^^^well done on the moose, glad to hear they're doing well....

I went out yesterday and saw some WT but don't want to shoot an antlerless unless it's with my recurve...

Went to Princeton area on the weekend. Boy was it ever busy at Whipsaw. Hunter groups on every corner. Only saw one group with a buck on Sunday. Lots of snow but we came home empty handed. Going somewhere Thursday to Saturday, still deciding where. Anyone have any luck?

Started high up west of Clinton (probably 5,000', so not super high) - lots of snow, colds as can be (big fire Friday night!)

Two weeks ago we were crunching through this area in T-shirts and found nothing but moose and deer sign. Saw a calf and cow and bumped some does and saw a bunch more.

Now? Nothing. Fresh snow, cold as can be, no tracks in the woods, no tracks crossing the road, no beds, nothing.

Walked a couple miles back in the woods, still nothing.

Dropped elevation a bit. Still no good. Hit another area where we found sign during early October. No good.

Feeling a bit like a potential vegetarian we dropped down even further. I had a new hunter with me and figured I better show him some deer, so we went down to the rancher's field. No shortage of does, and no shortage of sheep - even one ram that looked like a shooter. No bucks, and it's private alfalfa fields anyway.

But...we started finding all kinds of sign. Later that afternoon found a couple two pointers in the sagebrush/pine transition and connected! Got them cleaned and back to camp, hung them up and skinned them and then had dinner and hit the hay.

-20 overnight. Frozen solid! Way easier to handle a frozen deer

Question we speculated on: both bucks were very similar in size and antlers, and #2 didn't want to leave in a big hurry when #1 hit the deck. That made us wonder - were they hanging around because they were brothers? Tough to determine, obviously, but anyone have any insight on that?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

How are the fsr roads up around osoyoos and oliver? Wondering if there's been a thaw and freeze yet or if it is all still nice and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by ab3 View Post
    How are the fsr roads up around osoyoos and oliver? Wondering if there's been a thaw and freeze yet or if it is all still nice and soft.
    Was up around Princeton yesterday - had to help a guy who's trailer slid off the side of the logging road at least escape with his truck. Freeze thaw was brutal lower down couldn't even walk on the stuff. Thank god we found our chains the night before or it would have been a no go. Saw a bunch of guys ripping up at the start of the day without chains... I wonder how they made out coming down.

Not sure what its looking like around Oliver/Osoyoos but if it is anything like what we experienced I'd go very well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    Was up around Princeton yesterday - had to help a guy who's trailer slid off the side of the logging road at least escape with his truck. Freeze thaw was brutal lower down couldn't even walk on the stuff. Thank god we found our chains the night before or it would have been a no go. Saw a bunch of guys ripping up at the start of the day without chains... I wonder how they made out coming down.

Not sure what its looking like around Oliver/Osoyoos but if it is anything like what we experienced I'd go very well prepared.
    Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info

Lots of snow in region 8-1 over the weekend mostly on last Friday it’s pretty deep