Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average time for bear hide return

Average time for bear hide return

Hey guys, I dropped a bear hide and skull to have it treated with Beatles back in May. On average how long has it taken for you to get your hide back and skull back? I know the most obvious answer is to call the taxi but I don't want to disturb him and dont mind if be takes his time so he doesn't feel rushed. So far it's been about 5.5 months

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Average time for bear hide return

I’d guess that the skull is done. The wait for a hide can be a long one though. I think the 6-8 months is pretty normal but don’t hold me to that.

I’m not sure on timing, but if they didn’t tell you how long it would take when you dropped it off, it really shouldn’t “disturb” them to call and ask when to expect completion. Just start by saying “ I’m not trying to rush the process, but can you tell me when it might be complete”.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I called a few taxi before the hunting season started, they say in order to keep the quality, normally takes about 18-24 months, they are normally very busy. I called 3 of them, all same answer.

Thanks for the candid responses guys. This is the HBC I remember.

I hope you will post it up when it the wait is over and it is all ready!

If the taxidermist doesn't do the tanning himself (and not many do, most of them ship to a commercial tannery) then you will be a year+. The tannery generally does hides in batches (ie bears together, deer together, etc) so you will be waiting for the hide to get done whenever they have bears scheduled to be done. Then it goes back to the taxidermist and he probably does his stuff in batches as well, ie all the sheep, all the deer, all the elk, etc...

A popular taxidermist who has lots of work won't be a quick turn around.

Shot my bear may 19 I think this year and still waiting for my skull and tanned rug. Same as you, I don’t want to bug him. Said cause of Covid it’s backed up. Hopefully by years end
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I hope you will post it up when it the wait is over and it is all ready!
    Yes I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Shot my bear may 19 I think this year and still waiting for my skull and tanned rug. Same as you, I don’t want to bug him. Said cause of Covid it’s backed up. Hopefully by years end
    Got mine within a few days of you...I'm in the same boat as you just thinking this vs will be slower cause of covid and realistically even if it takes a bit, it's not like it's going anywhere...taxi wants his money, I want my hide.
    Last edited by Mosin; 10-21-2020 at 03:27 PM.