Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper mine up in Tulameen

Copper mine up in Tulameen

I was up hunting for 2 weeks up around Tulameen and Lawless FSR recently. I saw a lot of surveyors with Alberta plates and people running wires for machinery up the mountains. My brother spoke to one of them and they mentioned they were surveying for Copper mines and other metals. Anyone have any info on this or how invasive/detrimental these possible mines are to our hunting areas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Copper mine up in Tulameen

Take a look at the little copper mine north of Logan lake for a good indicator on how it could effect your hunting areas.

I have no real idea how invasive it would be but summer 2019 there was a decent sized crew in Tulameen doing a major survey of the area.
    Had some long chats with a few of the geologists, they were staying at a Motel half a km for our cabin, chatted about fishing and hunting in the area and it was my impression that the mines, if they ever come to fruition, would be quite small.
    Now, what that means might all depend on what "quite small" means.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Take a look at the little copper mine north of Logan lake for a good indicator on how it could effect your hunting areas.
    Exactly this...what an absolute mess that particular one is. Although I did see a couple moose and white tail on the way through.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I wouldn't get too excited. On the small chance that they discover a deposit that is worth building a mine on, you've probably got 8 years in this province before it's actually running.

Ahh good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited. On the small chance that they discover a deposit that is worth building a mine on, you've probably got 8 years in this province before it's actually running.
    At least 8 years. Probably more like 20. What that 'survey crew' is likely doing is an IP (Induced Polarization) survey. If that's the case, you're years from an actual mine being developed. They would carry out an intense drilling program first and define any resource that might be mine-able. FYI you may be concerned about mining, but it is necessary. For without it, you might miss the steel for your rifles. No? Mining companies are usually stellar corporate citizens.

Aaron - Interesting you noted the mining increase as of late. Down here in the Boundary i have a co-worker who's son got picked up on a prospecting crew and has been working all summer around the Pheonix complex checking old sites and testing placer claims. Funny though this seems to happen every few years when minerals are up and some wealthy outfit has money to dispose of before tax time, then dies out for a few years. This time whomever is running the operation bought the "mineshaft" restaraunt in Greenwood and i believe is using it as his chuck wagon for crew lunches. Maybe signs of future investment but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    . FYI you may be concerned about mining, but it is necessary. For without it, you might miss the steel for your rifles. No? Mining companies are usually stellar corporate citizens.
    J_T - you are so right, but I think every one on here has carbon fiber barrels made by Taylormade/Reebok
    - Stellar corporate citizens I agree, just check out how the Cominco group has operated over the years - yum I can taste that mountain spring water now
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

A lot of the time exploration and a drilling program is little more than a stock play. But isn't there a good sized mine just outside of Princeton ?

Was hunting up Henning early September and ran into a crew up there doing resistivity testing around the top and behind down avalanche bowl area.