Thread: Questions regarding older Excaliber IBEX crossbow

Questions regarding older Excaliber IBEX crossbow

Hey Guys,

So I have a new to me Excaliber Ibex crossbow. I'm sad to say I actually know nothing about crossbows... So I'm very hesitant to try and use it...
    175lb draw, 305fps so it appears skookum... older, 2016 era, but in great shape. Has a Bushnell scope but no quiver (so I'll be looking for one of them)

I was wondering if there is anyone on here that can help me out? Give me a good old fashioned education on these things?

Looks like it has 20" bolts, but here's my difficulty, there are 8 bolts, 6 do not have knocks, 1 has a flat knock and the other has a notched knock... I have no idea what I actually need... And cannot seem to find a definitive answer online... lol

It came with a nice soft case, bolts, broadheads, extra string, cocking aid, etc... But no instructions... lol

Figured I'd see if I can find someone who has had or knows these things on here... if not, anyone know a decent bow shop in Lake Cowichan or Duncan Area? (Vancouver Island)

Thanks in advance... Much appreciated...

Rob

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: Questions regarding older Excaliber IBEX crossbow

Answered on the other site, but will address for the members here...

Way back when I started with an Ibex. Killed quite a few deer with it over time.
    They work well.

Toss the mismatched arrows. Running them would be comparable to mixing varying loads / bullet or powder weights in your rifle. Not going to be promoting accuracy.

The best arrows out there for crossbows are Black Eagle Zombie Slayers. Perform fine from fast bows.
    With the Ibex, Black Eagle Executioners should be fine (what I used).
    Flat Nocks ONLY btw.

First: Check your bow limbs for hairline cracks. Rub cotton batten over each part of both limbs and look for snags.
    If there is DO NOT SHOOT! Call Excalibur for free replacement limbs.

Excalibur honors their products for the lifetime of the BOW, not the owner. Limb issues are very rare with that model, but rest assured if you ever did encounter any, they would be replaced quickly. Best warranty in the business.

Check your Brace Height (distance of string from riser). There are two lines engraved on the front end of an Ibex rail (if the desirable metallic rail). I set mine just back towards the shooter from the first line, so around 3/4".
    You will need a stringer tool to do this: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/bo...sbow-stringer/

To adjust the string, increase twists in the same direction of existing twists in the string to tighten it, and the opposite to loosen it.

Use of the rope cocking aid really helps insure accuracy, and allows you to de-cock the bow without firing it. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2K2szS4Hk

You will need string wax, and should wax the serving after ~ 40 or 50 shots, and the string whenever it begins to appear dry / frazzled.

Only thing I don't do is using rail wax. Never have, never will. With Custom Boo Strings that have taken well over 1,000 shots I don't feel wear is an issue. My current bow is a tricked out Matrix 380 (more like a 400 with the limbs on it). Speed is just fine thanks. Accuracy downright Amazing! Many of the folks on the Excalibur site are the same, and don't use rail snot at all.

Most modern Mechanical broadheads are fine. All I use.
    Back when I ran the Ibex, I remember it also shooting rather well with Slick Tricks broadheads (fixed head with cut-outs).

What ever you do, never dry fire the bow. Ever.

Does the Bushnell scope have multiple chevrons (aiming point reticles) in it? Speed ring?
    If it doesn't you may well want to trade it out for one that does.
    As with any bow, archery equals ARC. And there is quite the arc to any arrow flung from a string.
    Crossbow specific scopes are designed to accommodate that.
    Rifle scopes simply are not unless you go to an HHA system: https://www.hhasports.com/optimizer-speed-dial/
    The HHA is somewhat fragile. Due to just how damn rough I am on equipment, I would never consider one.
    Excalibur and many other companies produce crossbow specific scopes. You will need to determine just how far you want to be able to shoot, and what you can spend to decide which one. Feel free to ask on that if required.
    BTW: The idiotic proposed legislation to ban crossbow scopes during archery season was quashed, and I would actually be surprised if they attempt that nonsense again given the backlash the notion received.

FYI - Excalibur Forum: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/index.php
    Great bunch of Folks. No Drama, lots of great intel.

Feel free to ask if / when anything else comes up.
    I reaffirm my offer to walk you through the paces once you're set up.
    And congrats on getting one of the finer bows out there!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me