Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mule Deer Rut - Region 5

Re: Mule Deer Rut - Region 5

What happens in the case of a cold snap that warms up?
    So the recent snow and temp dips have surely triggered the high country bucks to head to winter range.

But what happens next week when it warms up? Will they continue the migration since they started it?

Always wondered that since some of these deer migrate far but I dont know how long they take to cover that distance.

There was a study of some deer in the OK and I think it showed that those that migrate 100km start their migration late sept, so if that translates to reg 5 a lot of the deer would have started their trek before this cold snap happened anyways and not triggered by it?

Depends.
    Talked to some cowboys once and 1 season, the snow came in fast and hard and dumped a lot.
    A lot of deer were caught off guard and died as they couldn't make the migration out fast enough and got trapped.

Once down, i dont think they head back up or not very far especially once rut is on.
    After that, bucks look for some quiet time and somewhere safe, but no they dont head back from where they came, or not very far.

Would be interesting however to see what the latest MD study is showing in regards to that, meaning migration.
    Last i heard, there was a brief statement that Bio's were somewhat scratching their heads as to some of the deer movement?
    Not sure what that meant or what they are seeing.

Anybody heard anything new on that???

Some dont even migrate at all, or so it seems?

Wyoming has been getting some cool data points on mule deer migration. I know it's not BC related, or region 5 for that matter. But between that and the couple collard deer they have in the Purcells... it's pretty cool to at least have an idea of where and when they travel.

https://migrationinitiative.org/

Quote Originally Posted by archerylife View Post
    I’ve seen -20 plus early November many times. This year is looking like a cold one!
    We hit -20 Sunday morning last weekend! West of Clinton.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey