Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Rut - Region 5

Mule Deer Rut - Region 5

I got back into hunting recently as my son is now old enough to join me. Hunted lots as a kid with my dad but for some reason stopped for over 20 years. As anyone with kids knows its rewarding to hunt with them but difficult sneaking up on animals with a 6 yr old in ski pants...Hunting 5.2 and have had a rough 4 years. Missed a 4 point on opening day in 2017, then had two 4 points I've managed to see in the bush get away due to no good rest, and no confidence I didn't even get a shot off. Did shoot one little 2 point in 2018. Anyway this year I've been seeing lots of does every time I go out and know there will be bucks with them soon. What I'm wondering is whether to take time off in the beginning of November or the end if I'm trying to time part of the rut (closed here 11-20 of course)?

Thanks, and good luck out there!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule Deer Rut - Region 5

Depends sometimes the end of November can be nasty cold. depends On your ability to handle it. What type of set up you are working with are you camping are your vehicles dependable in frigid temps. Any time is good but there are variables to consider. Good luck what you decide.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I prefer later in hopes of it being colder (plus you see less guys out when you hunt -32), but I also like earlier because myself, I generally find the weather is changing at that time of year causing the critters to move.

Where I hunt is only an hour from home so I can get there before light but I was hoping to use the camper and stay a few days. Anything down to around 15 below I'm comfortable we can handle, anything colder than that we'll stay at home and drive out each day. Confident we wont see much colder than that around here but you never know...

I’ve seen -20 plus early November many times. This year is looking like a cold one!

They are rutting now in the caribou. Big guys haven't shown up yet. Be there nov 21st and dress warm this could be the year.

Cold or snow levels, to me play a big role.
    Cold is great, but deep snow pushing deer into tighter areas is what i "hope for".
    Sadly, that isnt the case in same areas that were great, due to lack of snow, for many years now, at the "right time".

I feel like early November is a successful time for MD hunters because i think the bucks are "roaming", and during daylight hours.
    Once the rut hits, they tend to be with the does, and then hole up during the day and come back out at night more.
    But, if the does are in heat, then it doesn't matter, they are dumber then anything you've seen, and are out all day long, but only for a couple of days.
    But, in R5, the season is closed for 10 days, and most likely during the peak of does in heat.

Late November does tend to be slower with hunters.
    Bucks still around, but i find sightings lessen and they are way more wary by that point.

Honestly, go as often as you can.
    Things change from year to year, and the biggest buck i ever bumped was late November.
    But some big boys are taken before the rut.
    Just look at FB postings, and you will see what i mean.

I prefer the end of november....lots of bucks, few hunters.

Yeah, I usually don't even go mulie hunting at all till after the 20th of November.

In some areas where snow (accumulating high levels) cause deer to migrate down and condense, hunting for a really large buck is achieved really late in
    the season.
    Not saying they are chasing Does, but if the snow is deep, they wont go back up.
    Some of the biggest bucks that i personally saw/know being taken were basically the last day of season
    But, some places years ago, the season went a lot longer then it does now.