Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: November Moose, tips or tactics?

Re: November Moose, tips or tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by thick View Post
    Don’t sleep in, be out at first light and out until last light.
    Are moose active much during the day?

Hmm some great advice..food..40 pounds per day think wheel barrows..first thing am along treeline first light = warm up..short distance from thick treed bedding areas..think 300 yards or less.. to the red willow during day go into thick treed timber into wind slowly..SLOWLY..
    Depends on temp food they will make daylight foraging trip..
    Bedding area just inside treeline..points..makes multiple escape routes..your not the only predator.
    Bedding WON'T be in wet..slightly higher..must be dry.
    Red= willow..food.
    Blue = shadows from tracks in snow. .will use same trail repeatedly
    Looking along edge of timber bedding areas..moose literally warming frost off their hides mind in neutral.
    Cheers
    Srupp

I was driving on a backroad out to a hunting spot one beautiful morning in november with 4 inches of snow on the ground and a light snow fall. I was hunting deer with a rifle when i came across 5 moose - 2 cows, 1 calf, and two bulls. I watched them for a few minutes from the truck and also noticed a couple trees freshly destroyed. I then heard what sounded like a cow call but actually it was coming from the bull followed by a very quiet grunts. The moose started moving and the bulls positioned themselves on either side of the cow following her. This looked like a second estrus to me.

The kicker is that after driving another few minutes i was hit by a thunderbolt!!!!! any bull moose for archery was open!! This year i will bring my bow when out deer hunting on those dates!!