Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November Moose, tips or tactics?

November Moose, tips or tactics?

Got myself a late season draw this year, never spent much time hunting them later than October. Any good tricks for hunting them post rut? I hear hunting food sources is key...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: November Moose, tips or tactics?

Reg 8 a couple years ago early November I watched/heard a cow moose bawling in heat and subsequently a big bull grunting back and going to tend to her...2nd rut...I wonder if they could still be rutting then where your draw is? They will also be going hard for food willow etc...this I know but I'm no moose expert like a lot of the other folk on this site....

Doesn't hurt to try some calling.I saw 3 bulls scrapping in December when I was falling trees.

Early November still possible rut activity due to second estrus. Cow calling, no bull calling. Big bulls for the most part will be holed up not moving much. Later in the month, food sources. Red willow is a favourite. Find the food, find the moose.

Chris

I called in and killed a bull on a november draw before.

After the rut the bulls seek cover, good food & water. Find areas like that and hunt it.

Getting late now but go out scouting prior. You still have over a week still until draw starts. We had a Nov draw last year, got 2 bulls in the first 2 days. If it was not for our scouting, I am confident we would not have been so lucky. If nothing else, it helps you focus where there is sign or lack of sign. Also helps to get to know the areas well if you don’t already.

find snow if possible, focus on areas with good feed, good thick hiding/bedding areas and a water source nearby. Don’t sleep in, be out at first light and out until last light.

Hope you tag one.

My thoughts are as long as there are cows in heat there will be a bull to breed her .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

November moose hunting is excellent. Sure the odd guy will tell you he got a response that time of year but I say don't waste your time calling.
    The key is find their food. Specifically willows. They chow down on these in November. If you find good willow patches have a walk through and see how much sign is around. Good luck and enjoy your draw
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Yes they need to eat . A moose needs to eat approx. 40 pounds of feed a day !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !