Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3” to happiness......

Re: 3” to happiness......

7 mm mag 140 ballistic tip + 3 inch Aspen = dust
    Last edited by GEF; 10-20-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Good job. Poplars are the best tasting of all the trees imho. And a nice young one to boot.

Hey Chris, could you share here which mill you took your kill to for processing? Were you happy with the cuts?

Inquiring minds would know....😛

If that deer was 25 yards back of the tree you likely only hurt his dignity.

awesome post!

Time to upgrade to a 45/70. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Have yet to get a trophy tree myself ��

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Hey Chris, could you share here which mill you took your kill to for processing? Were you happy with the cuts?

Inquiring minds would know....

If that deer was 25 yards back of the tree you likely only hurt his dignity.
    well dave:

it still stings a bit but here's the whole story...........

immediately after the shot i stood there in a state of disbelief; how could i have shot that tree without properly identifying it?

what an idiot

so i manned up and phoned the RAPP line and self reported

the fellow said "we're pretty busy this weekend yet we'll see if we can get an officer up to the kill site asap"

then i called my wife (in the truck) explained what happened and listened to her confirm that indeed i am an idiot ---------i stopped listening when she started to explain the difference between four legs and one etc etc etc........"bring the pruning shears with you, we have some work to do and daylight is burning"

so, i take some pictures and await for the arrival of 'she who must be obeyed'

i eat an apple and replay the whole scenario over and over in my mind; very upsetting, only alleviated in the knowledge that it was a quick and painless death

about an hour later she arrives "why didn't you leave better tracks in the snow, your tracks were going every g'damned way, zigging and zagging, up down..............you drunk or what"?

(and then re-re-confirming my place in idiot-dom)

anyhoo, with my proper pruning shears i quickly salvaged the useable parts of the tree

turned out, it was indeed a clean shot and aside from the splintering at the exit site, there appeared no other internal damage

"you going to use cheesecloth"?

WTF?

she gave me 'that' look..............we wrapped it tight

even tho we went a somewhat more direct line back to the truck it took a loooooong time and no words were spoken -- 'silent woods'? you have no idea

back at camp we are welcomed by the blue flashing lights of the game warden (biggest case of the week i suppose)

he took my statement, took some pictures, went back to his truck several times to call HQ and read the regs and came back and rendered his verdict

i knew it was not going to end well when he started with "well son (he was 32 i am 60) i have good news and i have bad news"

the mrs pointed out (later) that he never did ask which i wanted first

"there are many infractions here and legally i can impound your guns and your vehicle and yet in the interest of time, mine not yours, here is the summary:

- while you have a firewood cutting permit, it is for the boundary region not the loops region

- the firewood cutting permit allows only dead fall trees

- the firewood cutting permit does not allow for poplar removal; they are strictly under protection from the ministry

- most egregious, single projectile are verboten in that area

"blah blah blah........so under the wildlife and firewood acts of BC i hereby confiscate your pruning shears and am issuing you with fines of $173 for each of the three infractions and as it is a first offence it will not form a part of your permanent record"

"take solace in the fact that many (most, no one) would actually self report this transgression and this will give everyone back at the shop a good chuckle.........hell, this will almost assuredly make the top 3 at the christmas party"

"finally, i hope you have learned a lesson from this. One good thing from this is i will be dropping the poplar off to a struggling wood working family here in the valley, this covid bs has caused a lot of hardship and this wood will go a long way in alleviating some of their pain. They can possibly make a ruler or an arrow or toothpicks or something"

"good day son"

and then a 5 hour drive down the canyon............

As stated already bullet construction. Probably going to shoot my self here but, the only 190 btsp Hornady bullet I ever recovered was one that went through 4ish inch Alder first. The moose was about 2 feet behind it, went in behind the right leg found it on the hide on the left side close to the last rib.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

awesome...so you don't have a bit of groundwood you could spare then...i'm making larks tongue in aspen

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    awesome...so you don't have a bit of groundwood you could spare then...i'm making larks tongue in aspen
    Isn’t it a bit early for whiskey?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

A rifle is the wrong tool for the job, you need a Mossberg chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    well dave:

it still stings a bit but here's the whole story...........

immediately after the shot i stood there in a state of disbelief; how could i have shot that tree without properly identifying it?

what an idiot

so i manned up and phoned the RAPP line and self reported

the fellow said "we're pretty busy this weekend yet we'll see if we can get an officer up to the kill site asap"

then i called my wife (in the truck) explained what happened and listened to her confirm that indeed i am an idiot ---------i stopped listening when she started to explain the difference between four legs and one etc etc etc........"bring the pruning shears with you, we have some work to do and daylight is burning"

so, i take some pictures and await for the arrival of 'she who must be obeyed'

i eat an apple and replay the whole scenario over and over in my mind; very upsetting, only alleviated in the knowledge that it was a quick and painless death

about an hour later she arrives "why didn't you leave better tracks in the snow, your tracks were going every g'damned way, zigging and zagging, up down..............you drunk or what"?

(and then re-re-confirming my place in idiot-dom)

anyhoo, with my proper pruning shears i quickly salvaged the useable parts of the tree

turned out, it was indeed a clean shot and aside from the splintering at the exit site, there appeared no other internal damage

"you going to use cheesecloth"?

WTF?

she gave me 'that' look..............we wrapped it tight

even tho we went a somewhat more direct line back to the truck it took a loooooong time and no words were spoken -- 'silent woods'? you have no idea

back at camp we are welcomed by the blue flashing lights of the game warden (biggest case of the week i suppose)

he took my statement, took some pictures, went back to his truck several times to call HQ and read the regs and came back and rendered his verdict

i knew it was not going to end well when he started with "well son (he was 32 i am 60) i have good news and i have bad news"

the mrs pointed out (later) that he never did ask which i wanted first

"there are many infractions here and legally i can impound your guns and your vehicle and yet in the interest of time, mine not yours, here is the summary:

- while you have a firewood cutting permit, it is for the boundary region not the loops region

- the firewood cutting permit allows only dead fall trees

- the firewood cutting permit does not allow for poplar removal; they are strictly under protection from the ministry

- most egregious, single projectile are verboten in that area

"blah blah blah........so under the wildlife and firewood acts of BC i hereby confiscate your pruning shears and am issuing you with fines of $173 for each of the three infractions and as it is a first offence it will not form a part of your permanent record"

"take solace in the fact that many (most, no one) would actually self report this transgression and this will give everyone back at the shop a good chuckle.........hell, this will almost assuredly make the top 3 at the christmas party"

"finally, i hope you have learned a lesson from this. One good thing from this is i will be dropping the poplar off to a struggling wood working family here in the valley, this covid bs has caused a lot of hardship and this wood will go a long way in alleviating some of their pain. They can possibly make a ruler or an arrow or toothpicks or something"

"good day son"

and then a 5 hour drive down the canyon............

hey bill:

No idea what this means.....

xo