Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cold weather boots

Re: cold weather boots

I just bought these at Bass Pro. They have amazing reviews and seem super warm. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/68669...BoCAioQAvD_BwE

I run kenetrek pac boots for late season if its real cold and for my winter predator hunting. The insulated muck boots do well too if you buy them a bit large for big socks.

Danners have done me just fine. Never even needed a break in period.

These.....

https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/

I hunted for years chasing mulies in the Gang Ranch and the south OK wearing Sorel Mavericks and they were great! Warm, supportive and dry. The Mavericks are as close to the Schnee's hunters as I could find. I still wear them for late season deer hunting, but I can't find liners anymore and they have lost their supportiveness, so stick to the less steep side slopes. Going on 35 years of wearing them.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sorel-Mens-Mav.../dp/B001AO03PC

I don't think they make then anymore.

But find a boot like these and they will keep you warm, give you the needed support, traction and comfort you need while chasing deer

Cheers

SS
    Last edited by Sitkaspruce; 10-20-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I have Kamik felt lined rubber boots for cold weather and used them in region 5 down to -20C. The tread is still soft at that temperature and the traction is great. They're at least 20 years old by now and still in great shape. No issues walking around all day.

Hiked and pulled a toboggan 110 km over frozen lakes in Bowron Provincial Park this March. Have done this several times, but this time I wore Sorel Caribou boots. Never cold feet and worked well with my snowshoes. Buddy had Irish Setter insulated boots and they got soppy with sweat after a while. Being able to remove the liner at the end of the day and hang them out is a big advantage IMHO. I packed spare liners just in case.
    Last edited by 35rem; 10-22-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Elk hunters.

Does anyone run better socks in uninsulated boots too point? I understand there is a limit where you will need to move to a true winter boot but how far can you get with a good pair of socks? I have hiked miles in my Hanwags and a thicker merino socks in -10. Feet felt fine until I sat for too long. I guess that is the defining factor. Foot warmth while sitting in the freezing cold.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Does anyone run better socks in uninsulated boots too point? I understand there is a limit where you will need to move to a true winter boot but how far can you get with a good pair of socks? I have hiked miles in my Hanwags and a thicker merino socks in -10. Feet felt fine until I sat for too long. I guess that is the defining factor. Foot warmth while sitting in the freezing cold.
    I've ran my scarpa kenises pros with a heavier wigwam sock in -32... but I was mobile basically all day. When I do it out ice fishing in those Temps, I usually team up the heavier socks with some heat pads

I use my muck Arctic pro boots when it gets cold. Not 20-25 k per day and definitely not carrying a heavy pack, but I’ve done 10-12 k many times. They’re not very good in steep stuff, but you have to decide what’s most important, warm feet or ankle support. I also use them snowshoeing.

I find anything with tight laces tends to be colder.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.