Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Goat Hunt

Youth Goat Hunt

**Also posted in the youth hunting contest thread, written by my 12year old daughter.

On Oct 9th my dad took me goat hunting because I got a goat draw and it was the best hunting trip ever. We drove in to our spot late afternoon and set up camp and the next day we drove a bit (and got kind of lost) because we went down the wrong logging road and we couldn’t figure out how to get to the spot. So we just drove to another area that my dad knew and we got to quad up the mountain and it was really fun. We stopped to look for goats a few times, and at one spot we saw 8 goats! There was a Billy feeding away from the rest of the goats so we decided to go for him. At the bottom of the mountain we had to take our socks and shoes off and cross a creek/river and the water was freezing, but our feet warmed up eventually. The goats didn’t look very high up when we were looking at them but when we were hiking up the mountain the goats moved a lot farther up and when we got near the goats it was really intense because we didn’t want the goats to see us and get scared and they have really good eyesight. We found the Billy alone and the other goats were somewhere else and we had a good area to set up and the goat that I wanted to shoot was asleep so I got the tri pod in place and was aiming at the goat then right when I was about to shoot the Billy woke up and started moving. I rushed the shot and missed and the goat started to run away and me and my dad started to walk a bit farther up the mountain to try and get another shot but we ran into 6 goats and we were so close to them it was crazy! I was pretty bummed out about missing that Billy on the hike down, but on the drive back to camp I shot a grouse so I was a bit happier. The next day me and my dad woke up and it was pouring rain outside so we ended up playing angry birds for an hour and a half and we knew we couldn’t goat hunt in that weather so we decided to pack up and head back home. It wasn’t raining in Cranbrook so in the evening me and my dad went hunting on our friends property for deer in their side by side and for the first hour we only saw a doe and a fawn, but then we saw 2 bucks and a doe and we got out and I was about to shoot one of the bucks then it saw us and ran away. We looked around and saw the other deer and I shot it and at first I wasn’t sure if I had gotten it then I saw its white tail and ran over and saw that I shot a nice 3 point deer and the butcher said it weighed 100 pounds! Then I did my victory dance.

KCCO

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth Goat Hunt

Pictures are worth a thousand words, but I liked the way she wrote it up, different perspective to most of us

Awesome, congrats.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

friggen awesome

Congrats to your daughter.

Good looking deer, and a very happy looking kid, Good write's too young lady, a BIG congrats to you and your dad!

Guaranteed win for the youth contest.

Absolutely priceless!! Congratulations on a fine deer! I see a big mountain goat in her future, excellent work to both of you! Can’t wait to read this with my 7 year old daughter, who it’s itchin to get out there. Youth story’s are a big inspiration to other younger youth, thank you for taking the time to put this up!!

Good deal great story and pics and smile i would guess she had some cold toes crossing that creek. Some snow in that country last few days, may bring the goats down and show were the moose are.

Awesome. Gongrats and thanks for sharing!!!