Thread: Watched my first 4point mulie run out of the country..

Watched my first 4point mulie run out of the country..

Was outside of Lillooet this weekend with my bow. Had to go up to the farm and help out but I got out each morning. I was in this spot with fresh rubs everywhere. I hiked in in the dark and setup. Waiting and waiting I started to hear bucks fighting about 60yards away through the bush, I couldn’t see anything. I keep up super slow, sage brush and pine cone city. I made it about 20 yards closer , still not able to see them. At this point I decide to stay put and fight the urge to creep up. Eventually they start to get closer to me and I start to see their bodies through the bushes but can’t see their antlers.
    THEN this doe appears out of thin air to my left and sees me , just staring at me for what seems like forever. Please go away please go away lol. She decides to spook and run off towards the bucks that I still haven’t really seen.
    I see this nice tall and narrow 2 point buck run up the hill that was in front of us. Thinking to myself this sucks! Where’s the other buck?
    I see more movement and this buck is trotting off the opposite way and to my huge surprise it was a 4x4 buck! First one I’ve ever seen and I was 40-50 yards away! Had no shot opportunity. I watched him leave through my Bono’s up and over this little ridge and he just kept on going. Was the saddest thing I’ve ever seen in my life. I was shocked hahaha
    so close but yet so far!

thought to share this because it was my first time watching a big buck run off and I’m sure I’m not alone lol.
    40 yards is the most I’d ever shoot with my compound bow by the way.
    on my way out I see a small two point, this time at 40yards away but straight down a bank. I decided to pass on the shot mostly because I wasn’t comfortable with that type of shot and didn’t want to accidentally wound him with a bad hit.

was I fun weekend out! Snow line was low already and some snow on the Duffy already too.
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Watched my first 4point mulie run out of the country..

Good on you for passing up a marginal shot opportunity, keep at it and a better one will always present itself.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Good on you for passing up the poor shot opportunity. Just keep at it, those bucks will not have gone far.

I have seen a few of those behinds running away over the years LOL.... It kind of hurts but it is great seeing them and knowing they (and bigger) are lurking about.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Some times those are the hunts you remember most.Savor it, good on you for not making a marginal shot. There will be more opportunity in the future and karma will shine on you.

Thanks everyone. It definitely sucked at the time watching him leave but was tons of fun non the less
    Member of CCFR

Yeh, I remember my 1st season stalking a buck down a cut block until he decided enough is enough & high tailed. I was so stoked just trying to get close enough for a shot, rifle not bow. Had him lined up once too, but didn't pull the trigger as I wasn't confident of a clean kill or whether it was a whitetail or mulie with enough points. Whitetail would have been ok since it was any buck. Light was fading as it was dusk. Quite an adrenaline rush for a rookie. I have yet to harvest a deer after 4-5 seasons now, but that 1st year encounter stays with me like the day it happened.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-19-2020 at 12:55 PM.

I love bow hunting. It’s so much more challenging than a rifle. Good choice not taking a shot you were not confident on. Sounds like you have a good spot. Be patient and you will get the opportunity for a shot