Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canning venison how to ?

canning venison how to ?

first time canning venison
    any one with experience doing it
    and any tips suggestions to help a guy out
    don't forget to leave directions to your honey holes also
    Last edited by butthead; 10-19-2020 at 04:51 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: canning venison how to ?

Pressure canner?...go easy on the spices as they seem to really come out when canned.

I have canned alot of deer/moose/elk, You have to use a pressure canner for sure, Boil jars, fill with meat previously browned in a pan, cover with beef broth, kosher salt on top, pressure cook/can as per internet, enjoy for years. add chilli peppers to a couple of the jars for some spiciness.

mmmm. brings back allot of tasty memories of the bottled moose the Newfie's used to bring into work.

Have caned roast, hamburger patties, meat balls and grouse. Seer all red meat. Grouse can get dry, add some chicken fat even the skin off a chicken breast makes it more moist.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

thanks guys some really good ideas
    i have a power pressure cooker and
    from what i am reading they don't advise
    canning meat.
    was really looking forward to stroganoff
    so looks like i wont be doing it this year

I have been canning moose/deer for years. I use my Dad's technique (since the 1950's in NL). Place a little cubed salt pork and onion in the bottom of your jar. (I have never used cans) Add your cubed meat...don't pack to loose as meat will shrink. Before putting the lid on add a couple more cubes of salt pork, onion and salt. (The salt pork adds a little flavour and much needed fat for the lean meat). You can then cook in a hot water boil canner for 4 hours, or if you have a pressure canner you can do it for 90 minutes. Very tasty. It will last for years in jars like this. Can be used as a soup base, or the way we like it best is to heat it in a frying pan and place between fresh buttered buns. (My mouth it watering even as I type this...now I know what I am having for lunch today.)

Quote Originally Posted by Buchaneer View Post
    I have been canning moose/deer for years. I use my Dad's technique (since the 1950's in NL). Place a little cubed salt pork and onion in the bottom of your jar. (I have never used cans) Add your cubed meat...don't pack to loose as meat will shrink. Before putting the lid on add a couple more cubes of salt pork, onion and salt. (The salt pork adds a little flavour and much needed fat for the lean meat). You can then cook in a hot water boil canner for 4 hours, or if you have a pressure canner you can do it for 90 minutes. Very tasty. It will last for years in jars like this. Can be used as a soup base, or the way we like it best is to heat it in a frying pan and place between fresh buttered buns. (My mouth it watering even as I type this...now I know what I am having for lunch today.)
    We’r going to be canning some moose here soon, I like the salt pork idea!! Going to give it a try with a few cans.

Do you fry the salt pork first?

Sorry I’m of no help to the original poster, this will be my learning shot as well.

I canned 13 quarts of venison this year. I have received cans from friends but this was my first foray.

You MUST use a pressure canner! And, the electric ones are not recommended. Google will give you lots of recipes and times for canning. I looked at enough recipes to tell you that they're pretty consistent and you should be able to find what you need easily.

My recipe was to add diced carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. I also put 1/2 cube of beef bullion and a little salt and pepper in each jar.

For some jars I browned the meat first. It's a fair bit of work but I think I like it a little better. It helps reduce the amount of fat in the jar after canning. Apparently the fat can go rancid in the jar and so lessens the shelf life.

But, just 'raw packing' is a lot easier! So, I'm kinda on the fence about which I prefer.

The result is amazing. I can just eat it out of the jar - it's that good.

Someone gave me some good advice some years ago about canning venison. Make sure you take the time to remove as much fat and gristle as you can. It makes for a much nicer final product.

When I think of canned animal meat (that's not fish), two thoughts come to mind...

1 - Spam and similar products which I am not a fan of...

2 - Chunks of boiled gray meat...

but I've also have come to what I hope is a more realistic thought of "It'll just be like sous vide meat" or "should be the same as a slow cooker"...

Which has me asking "could one put all the ingredients for a fine barbecue sauce or say a taco seasoning and have is just waiting to be heated and eated?