Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: canning venison how to ?

Re: canning venison how to ?

Yes you could.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    When I think of canned animal meat (that's not fish), two thoughts come to mind...

1 - Spam and similar products which I am not a fan of...

2 - Chunks of boiled gray meat...

but I've also have come to what I hope is a more realistic thought of "It'll just be like sous vide meat" or "should be the same as a slow cooker"...

Which has me asking "could one put all the ingredients for a fine barbecue sauce or say a taco seasoning and have is just waiting to be heated and eated?

use a gas range or electric coil type. dont use a ceramic range as it could break...

The tannin's in deer would make it un-editable for me. Fresh only or sausage.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

As buccaneer said
    water bath or pressure cooker pick your choice and can away.
    you do not HAVE to use pressure cooker.
    I have canned and eaten hundreds if not thousands of bottles of moose deer rabbit salmon done by water bath and I’m fine.
    if you take a bottle and the lid is popped up throw it out, maybe seen this a half a dozen times in my 47 years.
    make sure you wipe the rim of the bottles before you put the lids on , and nothing touching the lid.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    We’r going to be canning some moose here soon, I like the salt pork idea!! Going to give it a try with a few cans.

Do you fry the salt pork first?

Sorry I’m of no help to the original poster, this will be my learning shot as well.

no worries its all about helping each other out

My family has been jarring moose for generations, i assume it started with the water bath but now in the pressure cooker. Nothing like a 1/2 pint jar on the dash of the truck getting warm from the heater. Next time i will try the salt pork and onions

We have been canning moose, etc for many years and it is excellent. Nice to see it being discussed as a lot of hunters I have talked to seem to think canning meat is a bad idea because of crap they read on the internet. Follow the instructions and you won't have any grief.

Another thing I like to do is make up a huge pot of meat sauce and can it in quarts. Super great way to turn out almost instant meals like spaghetti with meat sauce, sloppy Joe's, etc. as well as a quick way to prepare lasagna and stick them in the oven. Cuts the prep time in half. You can even make chilli and stews and can them. Instant meals, just heat and eat.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

mmm i canned cubed deer meat once years ago, its was awesome.

Like others have pointed out, its not just grey mushy deer meat. Its whatever you want it to be! Pulled barbecque deer meat ready for sandwiches, taco filling, your own homemade chunky soups/stews, stroganoff, etc!

These meals are excellent for hunting trips too! No thinking or preparing meals after a long days hunt, just heat it up in 5min and eat