Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Region 8

Re: Region 8

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    We pulled into one area Saturday morning of thanksgiving weekend and it was like a Christmas tree of brake lights on every cutblock in the valley, turned around to go to a different area and met a truck coming in with his spotlight mounted on top of his truck actively hunting the lower cutblocks ( arrogant prick didn’t even shut off the light when we came around the corner)(and no I didn’t get pics or a plate number).
    anyways we got to another area that’s not as good for hunting but we had the place to ourselves, so let’s scout some timber after an hour I’m onto deer , ones definitely a buck but I’m out of breath from going up the side of the mountain and don’t like the quartering away uphill shot so I step to the side for a rifle rest and busted they are gone like the wind.
    back to camp we go rest-up, food more coffee and back in there for the evening , onto does but no bucks.
    back to camp we go.
    hunted the same spot all day Sunday no luck just does.
    get up 6 am Monday morning to start packing made coffee brother rolls out of his trailer as I’m looking at the hills and says we going hunting or going home ,2 seconds later I say get your gun gotta go check one more time 1/2 hr later we have a 4x3 and a 3x2 on the ground within 10 seconds of each other.
    dropped off at the butcher about 8 pm.
    Nice going! Thats how it goes sometimes.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by thompie505 View Post
    Kind of off topic, but in 8-12 or 8-14 can you take 1 antlered and 1 antlerless? Or just 1 total? The refs are a bit confusing with the BL showing 1 for all the seasons except Dec Bow. I called 2 CO’s but haven’t heard back.

After reading the bag limits( page 86 ) for reg 8, I read it as....you can take 2 deer, but ( page 87 ) it looks like you can only take 1 during rifle season or 2 during the dec bow only season.

I could be completely wrong......hopefully you hear back from the CO’s soon

That’s how my buddy read it and brought it to my attention because I had read and shoulda looked closer but was under the impression of 1 and 1. Left the message on Friday so maybe today I’ll hear back.

Planning to head up to my spot there early November for a few days. Is there always snow up there at that time? I've only been to that spot in first half of October

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Planning to head up to my spot there early November for a few days. Is there always snow up there at that time? I've only been to that spot in first half of October
    Depends where "your spot" is.
    Today there's snow on most of the hills, not much mind you.
    Altitude where you are going?
    In the past 15 years or so of hunting around the Princeton / Tulameen area most years there's been snow in the hills.

Snow line was around 1000m on the 12th. Most melted by the late afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Mountain weather is highly variable & fickle this time of year. You can get a huge dump of snow, then a warm spell or rain at elevation that will knock it down. Hell it can rain at elevation in January or February. Be prepared for snow above 1,000 meters. There's a good reason winter tires are mandatory on highways with mountain passes starting 1 Oct. I head up with both winter tires & chains.

Early November 2015 above Mabel Lake. I had my ski touring gear with me & skinned up a cut block. No ungulates to be seen, I reckon they had all migrated to lower elevations.

Early October 2015 above Monashee Pass. Plenty of deer tracks on the logging road which became impassable so I ended up hiking a few Km to this spot.

23 October 2019, above Monashee Pass, a week or so before spike Moose opening. A good 3/4 hr hike through knee deep snow to get to the stand from which this photo is taken. Cow, calf & a spiker.

For current conditions there are plenty of weather resources available on line. To get an idea of what things are like, check live webcams on drive BC or a ski hill/back country operation in the area you're heading.

Silver Star. The weather radar sits atop Silver Star mountain. The web site provides daily forecasts. The village is at 1600 meters.
    https://www.skisilverstar.com/mountain-info/webcams/

Sol Mountain Touring. webcam not current atm, they definitely have snow up there. The lodge is in Monashee Provincial Park.
    https://www.solmountain.com/conditions

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resort...uring/6day/top
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-19-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thompie505 View Post
    Kind of off topic, but in 8-12 or 8-14 can you take 1 antlered and 1 antlerless? Or just 1 total? The refs are a bit confusing with the BL showing 1 for all the seasons except Dec Bow. I called 2 CO’s but haven’t heard back.
    Looks to me like aggregate total is 3. One 4 point mule deer buck, (antlerless LEH only); whitetail 1 buck, 1 antlerless. Mule deer bucks for bow or youth don't have to be 4 point, but those seasons are over. If you take a mule deer during bow season, that's it for mule deer for the season as the bag limit is 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    Agreed, it is very confusing this year. Historically it has been 1 and 1. Would love an answer also.
    It seems to me, that although somewhat confusing in the way how reg 8 limit is shown in the table, the answer is clear on page 17 of current regulations:
    1 Buck , 1 Antlerless = 2 total for region 8

if you compare it with region 3 you can see in region 3 limit is listed for WT in the same table 2 but in page 17 show you total
    2 Buck , 2 Antlerless = 2 total for region 3

IN other words in region 3 you can kill 2 WTs of the same kind,
    in region 8 you can't.
    Last edited by Maglic; 10-19-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Hunted my lil spot in reg 8 for 2 weeks. Way busier than I've ever seen it.