Thread: Hunting around Hope yesterday

Hunting around Hope yesterday

Got soaked yesterday hunting a few previously hot pockets around Hope. Some of these spots never seem to dry up but I give them a try a few times a season and been lucky in them in the past years but nothing yet there this year. Walk into a spot - nothing - walk back to the truck wet - drive to the next spot - walk in a couple hundred yards - nothing - move onto next. Took my buddy and he's thinking I'm nuts doing this but it's what I do in this area. It's not an easy drag so I only walk in off the road as far as I'm willing to drag a deer out.

Cold and wet, we decide to pull into town to get a hot coffee and heck, the dang urban deer are standing around eating grass at the gas station.

Another hunter pulls up and we start laughing as this was awesome. Deer took a coffee break before we did.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting around Hope yesterday

Distance you are willing to drag a deer is relative with age. My brother and I shot two black tail bucks several years ago at 9:00 in the morning and it took us until 4:30 that afternoon to get them back to the truck. That was normal hunting for us back then. Now at my age,63, not nearly as interested but will still have 2 or 3 hour pack out from the timber I hunt. The hard work is all part of the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Citori54 View Post
    Distance you are willing to drag a deer is relative with age. My brother and I shot two black tail bucks several years ago at 9:00 in the morning and it took us until 4:30 that afternoon to get them back to the truck. That was normal hunting for us back then. Now at my age,63, not nearly as interested but will still have 2 or 3 hour pack out from the timber I hunt. The hard work is all part of the fun
    Definitely the hard work is what you look back on and enjoy the reminiscing BS around the campfire. With my shooting shoulder ready for shoulder replacement, I'm really careful of what I put myself through this hunting season. This is a little frustrating for my main hunting partner because he's fit as a fiddle and a beast in the bush. I'm 8-9 years younger than him and don't stand a hope in heck, or a heck in Hope, trying to keep up to him. LOL. I would swear he's using some sort of performance enhancing vitamin drops that relieves pain, clears the mind and puts a giddy-up in his stride and attitude that has him pulling like a diesel tractor.
    Last edited by Rieber; 10-18-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Seeing quite a few deer in town this year and quite a bit of cougar sign just outside of town in the snow last winter. Coincidence? I was out for 4 or 5 hours today just outside of Hope like you Reiber I saw a lot of rain that's about it, not even any sign. Oh ya and a young black bear.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Genetics maybe ! Depends on how one treated their body through life . What type of job did you spend most of your working life at . . I have contact with quite a few older people 70 + most of them have had both knees replaced and hips .Yikes I Hope I’m not in for that ! Hope when time comes for your shoulder replacement all goes well for you ! Shoulders are the most difficult joints !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Definitely the hard work is what you look back on and enjoy the reminiscing BS around the campfire. With my shooting shoulder ready for shoulder replacement, I'm really careful of what I put myself through this hunting season. This is a little frustrating for my main hunting partner because he's fit as a fiddle and a beast in the bush. I'm 8-9 years younger than him and don't stand a hope in heck, or a heck in Hope, trying to keep up to him. LOL. I would swear he's using some sort of performance enhancing vitamin drops that relieves pain, clears the mind and puts a giddy-up in his stride and attitude that has him pulling like a diesel tractor.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Went up a little further to Brookmere, Shovelnose Mtn and Davis lake area, only deer we saw was 2 does and 2 fawns, first light right at the end of Brookmere village, had to get on the brakes or would have hit them and i was going slow. No rain it was a darn nice day to be out, only one grouse for our efforts. This morning wife's friend puts a post on FB, huge bodied 3 pt, got ladies with him, just a little way up Sumas Mtn, bet he's having a good time

"Genetics maybe ! Depends on how one treated their body through life . What type of job did you spend most of your working life at . . I have contact with quite a few older people 70 + most of them have had both knees replaced and hips .Yikes I Hope I’m not in for that ! Hope when time comes for your shoulder replacement all goes well for you ! Shoulders are the most difficult joints !
    Arctic Lake"

Thanks. I had a full shoulder replacement on the left a few years ago. Recovery and end result was excellent in my opinion. Time has come to replace the original equipment.
    Last edited by Rieber; 10-18-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Yup, tis the season to be soggy! A solid pack frame can extend the distance you're willing to hunt by a long shot.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear