Thread: Moose 4.08

Moose 4.08

So, we had three moose on a camera over a lake at about 1750 meters. Waiting on our leh rifle tags to start on Oct 15.
    Went there two days ago and there was a foot of snow and no sign of moose.

Snows melting now - should we keep trying at this location or find somewhere lower?

Also, will moose calling still work this late in the season?

Thx for any advice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose 4.08

yes calling can still work

I have seen moose stay in one area when it snows. No tracks in and or out, but for 2 or 300 yards it looks like a cattle yard. So just because you didn't see tracks, doesn't mean they aren't close by. I wouldn't bet my entire season on the lake, but I would check it now and again until it freezes. With the snow there, it should be easy enough to see if they visit it. Try willow rich creek bottoms. Also, if you can get some height, spend some time on the glass. Those black spots show up well on white. Good luck

Thx guys. I will try a couple more times.

You can try cow calling but stay away from bull calls. The biggest bulls IMO will be post rut now and possibly isolating / hunkered down and not moving much. The cows that didn't get bred will be going into second estrus and the smaller bulls will still respond actively to cow calls hoping for their chance to get lucky now that the big breeders aren't there to chase them away