Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some positive interactions

Some positive interactions

Not sure where to post but this seems like a good place to tell about my experience last Friday. I've seen so many negative comments about interactions in the field that I thought I would post a couple of positive ones.

It was beginning of the long weekend. I saw more cars in my 'hood than I've ever seen before. I hiked 6-8 miles (again!) but only saw road hunters.

I talked with 2 of them. Both SUPER nice! One was a coupla guys in a truck. Old man tells me something about moose. I tell him that's a bad idea right now... But, he claims his buddy is Indian so it's cool. But they were super nice and we had a little chat. Even though I disagreed that looking for a moose was acceptable - we didn't need to talk about that. We exchanged pleasantries and parted ways.

Other guys were in a SxS. I told them where I was planning to hike and they changed their plan so they wouldn't be driving around me. I offered to change my plan but they insisted it was fine as they were road hunting and I was hiking. Coupla really nice guys - father and son.

Too damn many people for me but I understand why.

For next week I've scouted out a new clearing I want to check out. Looks like 100 yards or so of bushwhacking to get to where I need to be. It's right next to some posted ranch land. But, my iHunter app shows a really nice area adjacent to the ranch so I'm going to bushwhack and check it out. When I get off the road I generally don't see anyone - which makes me happy. And, I've seen a few whitetails (and a bear!) in the area so maybe I'll see something.

I've seen a bunch of mulie does (5 at one time a week ago) whenever I get off the road. And, I saw one whitetail doe close to where I'm planning to hike in. So - maybeeeee.....

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Some positive interactions

Good luck with your spot. I am a little confused you walked for miles but saw only road hunters. Does that mean you are primarily walking roads? Nice that they left the spot for you that you wanted to walk, as most of us would probably do also, unless you are walking on a road that still goes for many miles or connection to another area. Why was looking for moose a bad idea, is there no moose hunting where you were? Good luck
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Good luck with your spot. I am a little confused you walked for miles but saw only road hunters. Does that mean you are primarily walking roads? Nice that they left the spot for you that you wanted to walk, as most of us would probably do also, unless you are walking on a road that still goes for many miles or connection to another area. Why was looking for moose a bad idea, is there no moose hunting where you were? Good luck
    Sorry if I was confusing. When I'm off the road I don't see anyone. But, I need to be on the road to get to where I'm hiking in. My one spot is nearly 15kms in on a FSR.

No, moose isn't open in 3-19.

I met a couple of old timers in a SxS out by Lac LaJeune when our with my wife and dogs looking for birds. They were very friendly. I’ve had nothing but friendly interactions too this year, but it is a lot busier than usual...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I just spent 4 days hunting my moose bull draw in an area where they opened calf moose in an effort to kill off the moose. The area was alarmingly busy! But, there were a lot of good people out hunting. Most were older folks [damn!, I am one of them too!] and all were friendly. All of them stopped, chatted and invites to others camps were offered. A work crew in the area actually left their jobsite to pull an older solo hunter pickup out of the mudhole that "didnt Look that deep". When hunters ran into others they all smiled, turned and went the other way! One crew had camped at a road de activation that had miles of atv area behind it. They did their best to stay off the road and when I arrived they were waving me through. I declined but did enjoy a cup of their coffee!

We've had nothing but good experience with other hunters this year. Always smile and wave, sometimes stop and chat. Everybody seems to share the same ethics because we've always moved on if we saw other hunters in an area and other hunters have done that for us too.

Pretty easy-- treat others as you'd like to be treated.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Always nice to hear something positive. We hear too many negative things reported! Glad you took the time to let us know

For sure there are some great folks out there hunting.
    Glad you had those experiences.
    There are some peckerheads for sure, but most folks are nice.
    Hunting just brings out the competitiveness in most, its just some act at a higher level, and thus are dicks.
    Others are out there, just to be out there and get away from the daily routine.
    Those folks are the best ones to meet.

Son has been out hunting in the Manning - Princeton - Tulameen area the past few weeks, he's run into everything from A-Holes glassing him ( at least one of them was extremely apologetic ) to the usual great guys.
    He's into paying it forward, he passed up on a buck earlier in the week, ran into a young couple a few minutes later and told them where it was if they were interested.
    He got his buck yesterday, we'll head out tomorrow lookin to cut my tag, I'm sure we'll run into many other hunters who for the most part are great to run into.

Remember running into a couple guys in a razor, they had a margaritaville on the back, invertor with all the stuff to make margaritas, they made me one, nice guys!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...