Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattling mulies

Rattling mulies

How soon in he season do you start Ive seen charts and all sorts of posts on oninion had people tell me dont even try before november had buddys tag deer rattling in september. Heading out for pre rut hunt here just wondering peoples opinions on rattling mule deer when do you start how agressive are you ? Do you use a small set or a mature rack to try to pull that one big buck?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rattling mulies

Its my opinion that october is just as good as november for rattlin muleys. I have come to understand that in october the bucks do a lot of sparring to sort out there pecking order. I have witnessed some pretty good scraps in october amongst smaller bucks. I think there is way less actual fighting in november but it does of course happen. The more mature bucks will be with does and wont leave them to investigate rattling activity. Smaller bucks are more apt to respond in november. I have rattled in muleys in both october and november. I dont think the size of rattlin anters matters much. My favourite set was a lil blacktail set. I use the sticks in the bag these days.

I’ve had good success rattling for mulie but I’ve only ever tried during the rut. I would start rattling for whitetails now. I’ve always had good pre-rut success for whitetails. I Wouldn’t be shy to try for mulie early if it’s not going to disturb the area. Remember, too that rattling works best in areas where the buck to doe ratio is high.

I also use rattle bags and scent pads

Interested ... I have rattled for blacktail and they are quite responsive. Do you find the muleys respond the same or less?

Can I expect to rattle in big bucks or mostly smaller curious ones.

Interested to hear from those that have had success.

Noobie me assumed mulies wouldn’t be responsive to rattling, I’m not sure why even, just don’t seem like an aggressive animal even in the rut..white tail on the other hand, you better have a gun if you’re rattling or else they are going to screw you into the dirt lol

Your better off raking a tree with the antlers for muleys.

I have been grunting and rattling and nothing showed so far. Wind and rain might have something to do with it. Local lake is up 5 inches.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Noobie me assumed mulies wouldn’t be responsive to rattling, I’m not sure why even, just don’t seem like an aggressive animal even in the rut..white tail on the other hand, you better have a gun if you’re rattling or else they are going to screw you into the dirt lol
    agreed. Mulies are not as aggressive as W/T imhe, having rattled in 10 w/t to one md. But, when in mixed territory anything can happen, and rattling won't chase them away. If rattling helps one to slow the pace and sit more, thats a good thing. Sit and watch more than hike about. Grunting and raking has been more productive over all, antlers in the branches seems to bring in elk, moose and deer.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Interested ... I have rattled for blacktail and they are quite responsive. Do you find the muleys respond the same or less?

Can I expect to rattle in big bucks or mostly smaller curious ones.

Interested to hear from those that have had success.
    I have done quite a bit of muley rattling and its been mostly small curious bucks. The very first time I tried rattling I had already spotted a 150 class buck. He circled and came in behind me. I never got a shot off but when I moved to try to get on him I spotted the 140 whity that also came in. He got away too!