Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mature buck home range thoughts

Re: Mature buck home range thoughts

I’m an optimist when it comes to all things hunting. And with mule deer, I’m more inclined to think that there are more larger bucks than we think they are just very elusive and live in the most rugged and hellish spots that are around. Moving little. Moving at night and generally being wary. I think that a lot die of old age maybe to only have been seen a couple times. But that’s what keeps me out there anyways. If you don’t believe your going to see one then are they even there?

ill be back into this area I have recently discovered and start the scouting and pressure. Finding that home zone and infiltrating it to the next level until I find him. If he’s there now. I think he’ll be there in the rut. Why move to another mountain now, no deer is forcing him out. Plenty of food and water. Lots of other deer i just think he hides most of his time.

Re: Mature buck home range thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    also depends on his rutability. He may be well matured and the couple of does that hang out late up high may be enough for him, no need to travel nor fight for a f#$% , been there-done that

Val Geist had a theory that some of the largest bucks may actuallly be sterile, so energy saved in the rut goes to growth
    It has never been tested or proven
    Very good point, I was wondering about this and it would explain alot of things.