Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mature buck home range thoughts

Mature buck home range thoughts

So what are everyone’s thoughts on the kings of the mountain. The big mule deer that rarely get seen and probably live there lives in solitude dying of old age. Recently had an encounter with an absolute monster. Didn’t shoot. Didn’t press on the track after I bumped him.
    do these deer stick around in a core area or are they nomadic beings traveling around a few mountain tops going wherever they go in a large home range. After a migration In winter are they coming back to core areas or in spring do they migrate to somewhere new.

just something to think about as to whether or not I may see this deer again if I head back the rest of the season Or even next year or year after if I keep up the pressure and scouting all year.

thoughts? I know there are some big buck gurus on here that have far more experience than I.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mature buck home range thoughts

If you pm me where I could go have a look for you. Not sure about mulies but big blacktail bucks will generally stay in an area if they aren't heavily pressured. They know the area and feel secure. That is until the rut then all bets are off for where they may end up.

home range would depend heavily on the quality of habitat. If there's good food available 365, cover and water, home range will be quite small
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

also depends on his rutability. He may be well matured and the couple of does that hang out late up high may be enough for him, no need to travel nor fight for a f#$% , been there-done that

Val Geist had a theory that some of the largest bucks may actuallly be sterile, so energy saved in the rut goes to growth
    It has never been tested or proven
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I think large mule deer bucks are a pretty scarce thing in BC these days. Our open liberal seasons just dont allow bucks to get old. I think a deers average life span is 1.5 years. Hunters have gotten better over the years. We have many advantages these days. But I think our biggest deer live in a smaller secluded area. From what I have seen our BC deer dont really migrate but rather just live lower in their range area.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I think large mule deer bucks are a pretty scarce thing in BC these days. Our open liberal seasons just dont allow bucks to get old. I think a deers average life span is 1.5 years. Hunters have gotten better over the years. We have many advantages these days. But I think our biggest deer live in a smaller secluded area. From what I have seen our BC deer dont really migrate but rather just live lower in their range area.
    It's not our seasons.

Most hunters never leave the roads.
    It's our over abundance of predators. We have a big wolf problem(who also love the roads) Cougars prefer to kill bucks for one thing. That's why they ain't getting old. That's why there are few big mature bucks even in very remote, hike in only, very rarely hunted terrain that should produce.

There are places in the USA that get hunted 10x as hard, with 10x the number of hunters and still produce far more mature bucks (and population overall) than BC. They have very few predators compared.

BC deer also migrate far and wide, some 200km trips. Some only move lower, most migrate.

BC is in a predator pit, death spiral (also something Val-Geist says)

He is probably in migration mode right now. More than likely why he was spotted in the first place he was out of his safe zone. There is little chance of finding him again at this time of year. He has probably moved toward his winter ground. Or like sirloin suggests eaten by predators by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    So what are everyone’s thoughts on the kings of the mountain. The big mule deer that rarely get seen and probably live there lives in solitude dying of old age. Recently had an encounter with an absolute monster. Didn’t shoot. Didn’t press on the track after I bumped him.
    do these deer stick around in a core area or are they nomadic beings traveling around a few mountain tops going wherever they go in a large home range. After a migration In winter are they coming back to core areas or in spring do they migrate to somewhere new.

just something to think about as to whether or not I may see this deer again if I head back the rest of the season Or even next year or year after if I keep up the pressure and scouting all year.

thoughts? I know there are some big buck gurus on here that have far more experience than I.
    What elevation? I’ve watched huge bucks hang out in belly deep snow way up high until the prime breeding season kicked in. Only then did they come down into the valley to chase some does. If it’s secluded enough with food/water, you may have stumbled right into his sweet spot. I’d be finding some vantage points to glass from to see where he’s at. You’ll never know until you go back and try again.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Depends on what species of deer you are inquiring about.
    Whitetail deer are the home bodies. They are not mountain top deer, choosing rather to stay close to valley bottoms. Pussyfooting through the jungle they live in. It takes quite a bit to drive them from their home range which is a core area of approximately a square mile. In the late '60s or early '70's the Wildlife branch in Colorado decided to expediently erect a deer proof fence around a square mile of forest. It was a test to see what the population density of whitetail in a segment of forest so they could get a more reliable idea of the state whitetail population given that this species like a dense mixed forest. The biologists were expecting about 20 to 30 deer when they commenced their drive. They were quite astonished to count 0ver a hundred deer when all was said and done. Colorado is probably the only state where whitetail exist above 5200' above sealevel.
    The mule deer are elevation dwellers, preferring the lofty domain with the gusty winds to keep the flies off. Not all exist there, but the really big bucks prefer that territory. They are usually driven out when the snow gets belly deep and movement and food browsing takes too much effort. That's when the great migrations starts. Most areas for BC are subject to this migration. The Quesnel Highlands, the Monashee Mountains, the area of south-western Chilcotin Plateau.
    With this heavy snowfall over the past few days, I would expect more large mule deer bucks to be making a sudden appearanced.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Biggest buck I’ve ever had on my trail cams lived in one small area (I think) for 2 years in a row. He was on two of my cams (about 1 km away from each other ) from May to December and was on my cams more than any other deer. I’m pretty sure he died throughout the winter because he completely disappeared the following year. . I think the bucks that stick to one secluded area away from any roads and don’t travel much are the ones that get big. The more they move around, especially in the rut, the better chance they get shot.
    So I think there’s a good chance that buck you saw could still be in the area.
    Brian011