Thread: Late season bighorn sheep hunting tips

Late season bighorn sheep hunting tips

Hey everyone, So I am a resident of Alberta. I am planning a late season sheep hunt at the end of October. I will be using a lightweight tipi and a titanium stove. I am planning to hunt a area that borders a national park and is a wintering ground for sheep. I have scouted it out in July and found a large band of rams. They were on some small hills with a lot of good grass feed. The area does get very busy with horse riders and hunters in the summer. I am wondering if I should focus on the large steep mountains that make the border and hope I catch one coming out of the park or if I should focus on where the ewes usually are? There is some forest that was burned a few years ago that the ewes hang out in and a lot of lower elevation hills with grass on that the ewes feed on. Do rams show any interest in the ewes that early in the rut? Would the rams be heading towards the quality feed? I have hunted sheep a lot but not this late and have been on a quest for 6 years to find a legal ram. Any tips on staying warm and using the hot tent setup? I have not used it yet on a late season hunt. Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by summit151; 10-15-2020 at 05:19 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Late season bighorn sheep hunting tips

Hey I’ve never hunted Alberta but where I hunt big horns the rams are starting to mingle around all ews this time of year. They aren’t rutting hard by any means but they are defiantly getting interested. I’d suggest checking out more where the ews are hanging out right now. Good luck

Re: Late season bighorn sheep hunting tips

I can offer some Tips on the Tipi and Stove.
    -A good Sleeping Bag is still a must, one can achieve 60min burn time, realistically Stove requires stoking every 20-30 min.
    -It may go without saying, use dry Wood. Wet Wood will plug up Spark Arrest.
    -Try not to allow the Fire to become too aggressive, this will allow Sparks up the Chimney burning holes in your Tipi.
    -Tyvek for Ground Cloth.
    -I haven't done this yet but......apply small Dots of Silicone to the bottom of your Sleeping Pad to prevent it from sliding on your Tyvek Sheet.
    -I purchased Toaks Pots, place Pot of Water on Wood Stove, by the time you're finished brushing Teeth your Water is ready for Porage.
    -if you're camping on Snow, either pack it down and allow it to settle or place Bows on top of Snow.

Hot Tenting is awesome!!