Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sheep roast

Re: sheep roast

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Cut it into small steaks and fry in a hot pan and oil with your favourite seasoning. As already said, don't over cook.
    Have enjoyed a few roasts cut this way! Best flavor!!

I.m thinking it was the most tender piece of wild game I have eaten thnx for all the advice

The wind hasn't stopped howling for what seems like weeks at my place so the bbq is not getting used, so I have been using my cast iron pan a lot lately for my deer and moose. Very simple and it turns out fantastic every time. I'm sure the sheep would turn out fantastic as well.

I chop an onion and fry in olive oil for a while then add a tablespoon of brown sugar and cook a bit more. Add salt, pepper, a little rosemary and whatever else you want while they cook.

Add a bit more oil and press two cloves of garlic in there and cook for a short time. Chop and parboil potatoes while cooking the onions. Turn up the heat up and clear the onions to the sides of the pan and add a bit more oil and sear your roast or steak quickly.

Remove the pan from the heat and after draining the potatoes give them a quick shake in the pot to get all the edges roughed up. These will crisp up while baking. Add them to the pan around the meat. I baste with the onions and liquid in the pan. I will put a few strips of bacon over the meat. Pile the onions on top and add veg of choice.

I put in the oven pre heated to 350 and cook from 25 min for smaller cuts to an hour for a bigger roast. I pull it out when the temp is around 130 and let sit. You can baste the potatoes with what fat is in there and they will crisp up. Make a little gravy or just eat as is. Super simple and is soooooo good. I did some mulie back straps like this last night and they were very good.

Take 3 cups of water and put in a pot, add salt/pepper as desired.

Line outside of pot with rocks leaving only a space in the middle to set the roast in.

Once water is at a boil, add roast into the middle.

Leave at a boil for 45 minutes to an hour

Once meat looks cooked, remove from pot throw away and eat the rocks.. will taste better.

All jokes aside, my bighorn has been pretty hit/miss, some cuts great others not so much. I do enjoy it slow cooked in the crockpot for 10 hours with seasonings of my choice and vegetables though.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Take 3 cups of water and put in a pot, add salt/pepper as desired.

Line outside of pot with rocks leaving only a space in the middle to set the roast in.

Once water is at a boil, add roast into the middle.

Leave at a boil for 45 minutes to an hour

Once meat looks cooked, remove from pot throw away and eat the rocks.. will taste better.

All jokes aside, my bighorn has been pretty hit/miss, some cuts great others not so much. I do enjoy it slow cooked in the crockpot for 10 hours with seasonings of my choice and vegetables though.

Haha I've heard the exact same thing about southern bighorns in BC. Though I've personally never had it i haven't heard the best things about the meat.