Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Episode Northern Rockies Elk Hunt

Re: Final Episode Northern Rockies Elk Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Grasp View Post
    Hey Guys,

As always, I really appreciate the support and feedback I get form the forum. Here is the fourth and final episode of this year's elk hunt. I went on a solo hail mary mission for my last three days in the backcountry and was lucky enough to get within 85 yards of a legal bull mountain caribou. I hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/gKYL3udIJNQ
    I think you should change your name from Grasp to Tenacious... thanks for sharing your vids

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    The guy is posting some interesting videos and as usual HBC members want to pick it apart and question it. Why?
    Not sure if you were referring to my post. If so wasnt picking the OP apart just comparing to my own experience. Like I said would have been an monumental pack out worthy of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Just curious...25km in one way solo. 350lb elk plus 50lbs gear at 100lbs per trip, thats 200km of walking and 100km of it with 100lbs on you re back. Thats like walking from Abbotsford to West Vancouver picking up 100lbs of meat and walking back....
    Never said it would be easy but unless he has horses available then I’m assuming his options are to pack it out.

Good video thanks for posting......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lBcG3sW5kg
    a little more on the guy with joe rogan

Really appreciate the feedback guys. And I think the pack out is a fair question. It’s one reason why I likely won’t head back in there without horses. That being said I have experienced some ridiculous pack outs and like one guy mentioned you just fill up the pack and start hiking. The weather was quite favourable. Well taken care of meat would have lasted multiple days if need be. Also, I did an asynchronous loop. It was only at the furthest point where I was 25kms from the road. Another bit of transparency is thats exactly where I was when I got to within 85 yards of the caribou and the main reason I didn’t pursue him harder. If it fell in my lap I was gonna take it but I knew what kind of special hell I was in for to get a full caribou out solo so when the moment passed without a shot I let it go and went on my way.

As always guys, I really appreciate the support. I still have a long way to go as a hunter but I love making these films and sharing my stories. And to the guys who want to see a hellacious pack out on film I have a solo goat hunt in February and a solo sheep hunt in august and I’ll do my damndest to get as far back as possible and haul out the biggest animal I can find if I’m fortunate and committed enough.

hope everyone is having a great season. I’m getting in the truck in 5 hours to head to Alberta to chase Muley’s with my bow. Should have some more films for you guys soon!
    Last edited by Grasp; 10-17-2020 at 10:31 PM.