Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMRS radios

Re: GMRS radios

Are the Baofengs UV5R models older technology ?
    Is so what is the newer model ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
    Hey Artic. To keep things simple a FRS/GMRS is a decent way to go BUT in my opinion I would still pick up a Baofeng hand held and that way you would have another radio that will communicate with your single band Icom and will probably be cheaper to purchase than a GMRS radio and there are lots of acessories for a UV 5R. AA battery pack, 12v battery eliminator. 12v battery charger, longer antennas, external antennas, speaker mike, etc--none of which are available for a GMRS. The Baofengs all have 128 programable channels not 200.
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-16-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

To all that replied! As you probably know by now I’m very detailed oriented (Anal) and like to know the facts and as someone once told me “ It is a smart person that can explain things simply to the uneducated !”
    So I appreciate all of your responses to all of my questions on all things !
    Arctic Lake

Are 8 watt handheld legal ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by moosecaller View Post
    With the baofeng hand held my cousin and I got 20 km easy and it was clear as all get out these were the 5 watt ones now we have the 8 watt but haven't tried distance guessing it's as far and then some as the others. Good price and user programmable. Get the larger whip antenna (12" or so) rather than the one that comes with it made a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Do you need a license to operate these radios on logging roads? Can anyone get a radio license or only if you are in industry?
    Legally yes you need a license to operate the radio on logging roads or anywhere else. You apply for the license through Industry Canada. The radio that is licensed under your name is assigned a frequency you are authorised to use. Technically to use any other frequency you need written permission from the owner of that frequency.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-16-2020 at 06:17 PM.

You probably wont find any first gen UV5 out there any more. UV5R will be second gen. and more than likely you will get third generation radios if you were to order today. Received 4 UV5R HP 8watt radios today and they all test at over 9.5watts on less than full charged batteries. one at 9.9w. Got 5 of the same a couple weeks ago with similar results. Yes the radios are all illegal to transmit on but the RR guys sure appreciate it when you have one. Just use it like a scanner and keep out of their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Fellas I just bought an ICOM F1000s Handheld radio for FSR travel has the Lad channels and all the RRs programmed in. Whip antenna for the truck roof etc. It was pricey .

What about a pair of GMRS radios to keep in touch with a fellow hunter . Ease of use but get as much range as possible . So I think it needs to be 5 watt ? I realize that advertised range is not what you get !

What ones do you fellas use and are they any good . Make and model number would be great !

I have heard about Midland being good . BCA radio 2.0 version gets great reviews they are only 2 watt though ,used by lots of snowmobilers . What about Rhino etc.
    Thanks fellas
    Get a Baofeng UV-82 and the programming cable.... And google how to program the channels you want in it. They're super easy. The everyday off the shelf radios are all pieces of crap. It's very similar to your Icom but a 10th of the price.

https://baofengradio.ca/collections/...00-520-mhz-uhf

Okay thanks for the heads up on using them. Would be nice to have one to use as a scanner if that is legal. Avoided what looked like nice hunting area on a map because the access road had a lot of industry traffic on it.

I have a Garmin Rhino. If you buy it out of the US you can sneak in a 5 Watt. The thing I like best is that it shares my location with the other people in my party who also have them. So everyone checks in at specific times during the day and we can see on the map exactly where everyone is. Then if need be track right to them. Works great. Of course it’s a walk-in talkie too.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

The current crop of GMRS consumer radios are hit and miss (mostly miss). Since I'm hunting (or skiing) and it's cold I put my radios in the freezer for while to see if they still work. Most fail the test. The power drops off, the frequency drifts, the setting reset -- they're not designed for cold temperatures.

Decades ago we were having comm issues and tested our commercial radios in an environmental chamber -- they failed too. You get what you pay for.