View Poll Results: Do you use the BC Moose Tracker app? If you don't use it, what are your reasons?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 29.27%
  • No

13 31.71%
  • Never heard of it

16 39.02%

Thread: BC Moose Tracker mobile app - FREE hat contest!

BC Moose Tracker mobile app - FREE hat contest!

www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth/moosetracker

Hat contest runs to October 31. send a screen shot of the app on your phone to moosetracker@gov.bc.ca to be entered to win. There's lots of hats, so there's a good chance of winning one.
    Last edited by alcesgigantes; 10-14-2020 at 08:25 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC Moose Tracker mobile app - FREE hat contest!

Just entered.

Entered as well. Use the app all the time.

I wonder how much the app cost us to develop? How many predators could that same money contro

Quote Originally Posted by randymac View Post
    I wonder how much the app cost us to develop? How many predators could that same money control
    The development of the app was funded by Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation for about $20,000 in 2016. It was developed in such a way that it would not require substantial annual maintenance costs (every 2 years the Hunting synopsis needs to be updated which costs <$3,000). BCWF supports the functioning of the app through promotions and app functionality.

The hope is if enough people use the app it will help identify trends in populations over time (bull:cow ratios, calf:cow ratios, and possibly changes in population size) which will help alert wildlife bios to where additional investigation may be needed. An aerial moose survey costs from $50,000 to $140,000 for each population. If info from the app can help prioritize where that money should be spent it's good value for the dollar.

Frequently asked questions about the app:

Q: Will the government have the exact location of all my moose sightings if I enter them in the app?
    A: No. The data is collected at the management unit level only, so no one can ever no know the exact spot you record your sightings. The data summaries are at the game management zone level (groupings of multiple MU’s), so other hunters won’t know which management unit you spotted your moose in.

Q: Can I use my trail cam photos as sightings for the app?
    A: No. Currently the sightings must be recorded from first hand observations.

Q: Can I enter sightings when I’m not moose hunting?
    A: Yes. We are focussing the majority of our effort towards moose hunters as they are actively afield looking for moose, but if you are in an area where there is the possibility of seeing a moose you can still record your sightings. Remember, it is just as important to record when you don’t see moose on an outing as it is to record when you see moose (this gives a number of moose seen per hour metric that can be used to infer changes in population size).

Q: If the data collected from the app indicates declining moose populations or low bull:cow ratios will the government reduce or eliminate moose hunting in that area?
    A: No. The data from the app alone is not sufficient to make those kinds of changes. We will use the data as an indicator that we need to look more closely at a population that may be in trouble.

I've used the app for years, I think it's great
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

There's still a few more days to enter the contest. Email a screenshot of the app to moosetracker@gov.bc.ca for a chance to win a hat.

I don't use it.
    Why would I tell someone where I'm seeing moose.
    I have no idea who that information goes to and I certainly don't trust that this government has my best interest at heart.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I don't use it.
    Why would I tell someone where I'm seeing moose.
    I have no idea who that information goes to and I certainly don't trust that this government has my best interest at heart.
    You probably haven't even shot a moose before