Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog vest for waterfowl

Dog vest for waterfowl

Does anyone know somewhere in the LML that would carry neoprene dog vest. I have a GSP and she has outgrown a used one I acquired last season. I have looked online but it seems she falls in between a lot of brands and qould like to try some on her to get a good fit.

Thanks
    Dru88

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog vest for waterfowl

Try Cabelas....or Cdn Tire (sells Browning vest) . I used a Browning vest last year on my Lab and it held up very well in the saltwater.

I was able to bring her in the store and try on multiple sizes before buying.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-13-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Ron I never though of Canadian tire.

Basspro has them on the shelf. They allow dogs in store too so you can try on a few and see what fits your dog.

So I went to BPS last night and they only had one dog vest. The vest fit well everywhere but it seems to be a little to big right under my dogs neck. Almost looks like it would act like a scoop. I have a GSP and this is the third different vest i have tried on her they all seem to do the same thing. Anyone have the same issue?

I have a gsp as well and have 5 different vests .None are great but the browning seems to be the best fit.Thats the issue with mass producing everything. she doesn't like rain much unlike my lab..

Lol that's a great pic Dutch!

Like I said in my OP neoprene vests are designed with retrievers in mind so the neck opening is way too large for versalites. I've had to modify my two vests to fit my griff but fortunately, it's easy to do! Just need to cut a V in the neck and use neoprene glue to hold it. The stuff is VERY strong! A couple of supporting stitches will help, as well.

Canadian Tire on our side of the Pacific no longer carries the vests ,,,,,at least the 7-8 stores I checked. I figure I will need a large no matter what neoprene vest company I deal with. Canadian Gun Dog store is out and Cabelas looks to carry only one brand now and it doesn't zipper up,,,,has velcro closures instead. The closures at the chest and front shoulders look short so I don't think there'll be enough material for my dog's 15" neck.

I actually just removed one side of the zipper and I'm getting a seamstress at the dry cleaners that is close by to sew it back on. I think if I can get an extra inch, Sako will be able to squeeze into it. She should be able to sew through the 3 mm neoprene material but there's no way she getting through the 5mm! haha

Do most of you guys use the 3 mm or 5 mm vests? There's no doubt that the 5 mm is warmer and gives more floatation, not that my dog needs the extra floatation,,,,,she's a very strong swimmer.

5mm Banded vest:

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    So I went to BPS last night and they only had one dog vest. The vest fit well everywhere but it seems to be a little to big right under my dogs neck. Almost looks like it would act like a scoop. I have a GSP and this is the third different vest i have tried on her they all seem to do the same thing. Anyone have the same issue?
    It needs to be modified. Having a big scoop at the neck would be a huge disadvantage when they're swimming! They'd have to work like a dog to get anywhere fast!
    Last edited by mastercaster; 10-26-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Anyone in the lower mainland have a large size vest that their dog grew out of? The availability at the moment in this size sucks! lol