Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skittish grouse !

Skittish grouse !

We did went for our annual thanksgiving grouse road hunt over the weekend.

Spotted 13 grouse. Most were flying into the next time zone by the time you could get out and pop in a shell. Others ran off into the bush not to be located again (I'm usually pretty good at outwitting ones that scurry into cover and hold up near by... eventually they move or make nervous clucking)

Only 1 of the 13 presented a shot, which I blew because I rushed it LOL. I guess I felt the pressure after the first 10 escapes and this one looked like it was about to bounce too.

I was also pretty amazed by the "last light" activity. I have never seen anything like it in this particular area, but it was like someone flipped a switch in the last 10 mins of light.

I am curious what causes grouse to "suddenly" (compared to prior years) be that skittish. I would not say they are particularly pressured, at least not as much as some of the places I hunt with way less grouse and way more people.

One theory we considered was there might be less grouse this season (though we saw about the same number we normally do) and the ones we are seeing are the "smart" ones. Another theory was it was fairly rainy, windy and foggy this weekend... perhaps the combination was making them a little more alert than normal.

Anyone else ever have a day like that?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Skittish grouse !

I find there are 2 kinds of grouse, those that you can take 10 shots at and they won’t budge and those that fly soon as you open the truck door. Not sure why that is... maybe someone shot at the latter and they learn quick! Sure does piss me off though when I’m with my little boys and we go home empty handed because the grouse don’t cooperate.

One thing I have noticed is the birds body language. If they have their neck outstretched, then they are ready to bolt. Grab the .22 instead of shotty and don’t try get a foot closer. Sometimes you can get a shot off, guaranteed you won’t if you try close the distance.

Can confirm. I once missed a Grouse 13 times before hitting it. (sight was off), other times they flee if I look at them funny. Couldn't tell you why though.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    I find there are 2 kinds of grouse, those that you can take 10 shots at and they won’t budge and those that fly soon as you open the truck door. Not sure why that is... maybe someone shot at the latter and they learn quick! Sure does piss me off though when I’m with my little boys and we go home empty handed because the grouse don’t cooperate.

One thing I have noticed is the birds body language. If they have their neck outstretched, then they are ready to bolt. Grab the .22 instead of shotty and don’t try get a foot closer. Sometimes you can get a shot off, guaranteed you won’t if you try close the distance.
    It was sooo weird to run into so many of the skittish type on the same day. That's for sure.

The neck stretched like you said is pretty common bird language for "on alert". Anyone who ever had a pet parakeet or cockatiel has likely noticed this when there's a knock on the door or any unexpected sound. My wife and I call it "going tall and skinny". Those ones are definitely a "flight risk", especially when you see them go skinny and talk a few steps.

Over the years we have tried various tactics like driving up closer versus walking closer. That seems to help to an extent. I much prefer the ones that seem indifferent and you can take multiple shots at as you mentioned

I would say on average, or normal ratio of seeing grouse versus getting grouse is probably around 35%. Never seen anything like this last trip. It could be just dumb luck too. Certainly threw a wrench in our thanksgiving grouse feast tradition!

Evolution at play?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose63 View Post
    Evolution at play?
    LOL

Funny that you mention that. It has always been my theory for one of the valleys I hunt in Region 2.

I am far from a geneticist, but I wonder what impact on local genetics (if any) is had by any less-than-ninja-like grouse being annihilated in short order.

I guess the question is whether it is possible for enough selected breading to weed out the "dumb" trait in favor of the "paranoid" trait and if so, how many years (decades or millenniums would that take)

In this particular area of Region 3 this last trip, the grouse made the grouse in pressured Region 2 areas seem tame. Since last year in that same area, more than half the grouse seemed fine with someone walking up with a shotgun, I don't think that gives enough time for evolution there.

Could just be "what's left" or perhaps related to weather or some other factor like dumb luck.

Being thoroughly outwitted by a dozen grouse and missing one sure left me feeling like Elmer Fudd.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-13-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Have had a grandson out with his new Youth License. we are finding this season 75% fly or run fast never to be seen again. 25% you may get a shot at. He is always going for head shots which makes it harder but he is fairly deadly for a 11 year old. He has had lots of trips to the bush on deer hunts and has seen grouse taken by others.

I’ve noticed the same here in region 8 this year. Hardy saw any last week, and had 3 give me the slip. I also watched one pull a disappearing act on my buddy twice in half an hour, which was less entertaining than it sounds. Or was it?
    Pretend hunter.

Lots of adult birds this year, most clutches didnt make it due to a very wet cold spring. Lots of adult birds means less young and dumb ones, they've lived a few seasons and they have seen people before. Ive flushed a decent number of birds with my dog and the ones ive harvested are the biggest ive seen. Over all Id say low numbers but still seeing birds.

I find them usually skittish in Oct. Definitely more so for adult birds. Also aside from the morning and evenings seeing them near roads is weather dependent. The right amount of rain and they are everywhere, a little more or less and they are nowhere to be found. Same with a weather change.