We did went for our annual thanksgiving grouse road hunt over the weekend.

Spotted 13 grouse. Most were flying into the next time zone by the time you could get out and pop in a shell. Others ran off into the bush not to be located again (I'm usually pretty good at outwitting ones that scurry into cover and hold up near by... eventually they move or make nervous clucking)

Only 1 of the 13 presented a shot, which I blew because I rushed it LOL. I guess I felt the pressure after the first 10 escapes and this one looked like it was about to bounce too.

I was also pretty amazed by the "last light" activity. I have never seen anything like it in this particular area, but it was like someone flipped a switch in the last 10 mins of light.

I am curious what causes grouse to "suddenly" (compared to prior years) be that skittish. I would not say they are particularly pressured, at least not as much as some of the places I hunt with way less grouse and way more people.

One theory we considered was there might be less grouse this season (though we saw about the same number we normally do) and the ones we are seeing are the "smart" ones. Another theory was it was fairly rainy, windy and foggy this weekend... perhaps the combination was making them a little more alert than normal.

Anyone else ever have a day like that?