Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie's Opening Weekend

Re: Newbie's Opening Weekend

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been Youtubing and practice my geese call and duck call in the past 2 days, it is hard........ I suck at music, so I don't play any instruments. However, this is something I must learn..............

I'll try to hide better. I haven't decide to hide inside grass (so I have a 360 degree view) or hide inside a layout blind (only 120 degree view). Any comment or suggestion on this part?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawaterfowler View Post
    Great job! Sounds like you had fun out there!

I've been hunting the bay for a few seasons now and you'll find your best days are a combination of high tide around sunrise with heavy wind/rain. Tide more than anything seems to be the most important so I always try to time my hunts around that. Early morning with a low tide can be good but you'll largely just get passing shots as the birds are simply on their way somewhere else.

Don't underestimate using your duck call. You'd be surprised how well it can work with practice. Sometimes you can turn ducks around and other times you can send birds towards your decoys from far off... once you start to get good with calling, its a real game changer.

Also, look into some basic ways of setting up your decoys. You don't want them all bunched up, ducks want a place to land. Do that and you'll have more success. There is nothing cooler than having a squadron of ducks come in with their feet down over top your decoys.

Motion is definitely your enemy. Birds have a sharp eye and can spot things that are off from miles away. Use whatever natural cover is around you and stay hidden.

Be safe and respectful out there and you'll have fun for years to come!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    I haven't decide to hide inside grass (so I have a 360 degree view) or hide inside a layout blind (only 120 degree view). Any comment or suggestion on this part?
    One thing I learned quick about waterfowling, if something isnt working, change it.

If you set up a layout blind anticipating birds coming in from a specific direction and they don't, it only takes a few minutes to reposition your blind and reposition some decoys.

I've picked up my entire set up and moved because its obvious Im in the wrong spot on a given day and ended up having a good shoot as a result.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-14-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Ron C. is right. Just like any sports game. If you can see the strategy is not working but see an opportunity with a different strategy, then change it up.

On Sunday we had snow geese coming straight for us but then at the last moment they swerved out of the way. Then after giving it some thought, we remembered the mojos were still spinning away and that geese reputed not to like them. Next time I will remember to shut it off.
    Last edited by silveragent; 10-14-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have been Youtubing and practice my geese call and duck call in the past 2 days, it is hard........ I suck at music, so I don't play any instruments. However, this is something I must learn..............

I'll try to hide better. I haven't decide to hide inside grass (so I have a 360 degree view) or hide inside a layout blind (only 120 degree view). Any comment or suggestion on this part?
    I am the blind. I wear a ghillie suit when hunting. Works like a charm! You can see an example in my avatar.

I am the blind. I wear a ghillie suit when hunting. Works like a charm! You can see an example in my avatar.
    i never tried a ghillie suit before. Do I wear it on top of my water proof camo suit? Or do I just wear it as a camo suite? Is this water proof? Which type should I buy? Do you have any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.ca/Red-Rock-Gear-...3DC?th=1&psc=1

is this one looks ok?

i never tried a ghillie suit before. Do I wear it on top of my water proof camo suit? Or do I just wear it as a camo suite? Is this water proof? Which type should I buy? Do you have any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.ca/Red-Rock-Gear-...3DC?th=1&psc=1

is this one looks ok?

I have done a ghillie before for half a season. It is a fun project but it doesn't work on all cases.

You can buy a ready made ghillie. Lots of paintballers use it. Or you can make your own by getting an old jacket like an army jacket and then sew threads, loops, netting into it. With netting you can tie threads or burlap strips on the netting or weave actual vegetation you find in the field into it for the day. I saw a photo of deltawaterfowler one day and was inspired to create my own. I can truly say it is the ultimate in camouflage if you get the right colors and fabrics in there. A human could walk within 10m of you and not see you if you kept still. When I built mine I was helped by a couple army buddies. Fun project.

Some negatives I found when I actually did use it in the field were: 1) when it gets wet, it really adds to the weight. If you are actually in the water I would advise against it. If you are on dry land, knock yourself out. 2) If you are walking through vegetation you will get caught on every branch and twig. 3) You have to maintain it or it will just end up being a mess you won't want to use again. If it is soggy, it can start stinking. You will drag every bit of garbage you pick up in the field. It was basically #3 that made me toss mine. After a long day in the field the last thing I wanted to do was dry it out and pick through it. I put it into my washing machine once - and that basically destroyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I have done a ghillie before for half a season. It is a fun project but it doesn't work on all cases.

You can buy a ready made ghillie. Lots of paintballers use it. Or you can make your own by getting an old jacket like an army jacket and then sew threads, loops, netting into it. With netting you can tie threads or burlap strips on the netting or weave actual vegetation you find in the field into it for the day. I saw a photo of deltawaterfowler one day and was inspired to create my own. I can truly say it is the ultimate in camouflage if you get the right colors and fabrics in there. A human could walk within 10m of you and not see you if you kept still. When I built mine I was helped by a couple army buddies. Fun project.

Some negatives I found when I actually did use it in the field were: 1) when it gets wet, it really adds to the weight. If you are actually in the water I would advise against it. If you are on dry land, knock yourself out. 2) If you are walking through vegetation you will get caught on every branch and twig. 3) You have to maintain it or it will just end up being a mess you won't want to use again. If it is soggy, it can start stinking. You will drag every bit of garbage you pick up in the field. It was basically #3 that made me toss mine. After a long day in the field the last thing I wanted to do was dry it out and pick through it. I put it into my washing machine once - and that basically destroyed it.

OK, thanks. I will try the layout blind tomorrow, see how it works. Then I'll start from there.

Ohhhhhh - without my glasses, I always thought your avatar was two hedgehogs with a gun, thought it was cute That makes a LOT more sense!!!

Stiil cute, though