Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie's Opening Weekend

Newbie's Opening Weekend

Hi guys, this year is the first year I started to hunt (due to Covid 19, I have no where to go........). Past weekend is the first time I ever hunted waterfowl.

Oct.10
    I woke up at 3:00am, left home at 3:15am, arrived at the Boundary Bay Parking lot at 4:00am (I don't know when should I go, so the earlier to be safer). I walked into the spot around 4:45, set up 24 canada goose decoys, then wait. Around 6:55am, the shooting hour starts....... I heard a lot of gun shots around me, and I also see a lot of ducks flying around. I saw 1 group flying over my head, I did 3 shot, 2 were down. I was so excited (so I didn't put more ammo into the shotgun) and I run out and try to grab the birds. After I grab the 1st one, I try to get the 2nd one....... then it flied away..... I didn't have any shots in my gun, so I watched it fly away. Then later, there is another group flying, I made 3 shots, 1 duck down. However, it was down about 60-80 yard away from me, into the grass. I searched there for over 30min, nothing find. My friend searched for another 30min, still nothing. Then my dad searched for an hour, nothing, so we give up. All this actions happened in the 1st 1.5 hours. Then there is nothing much.......... Until about 11:00am, a group of geese flied over my head, and I shot down one. This time, I put in shot into my gun first before I run to the goose. It was trying to fly up, so I give it 2 more shots..... and finally picked my first goose in my life........ then I pack up and go home.

Oct.11
    I woke up at 4:00am, left home around 4:15am, arrived at Boundary Bay Parking lot at 5:00am. Walked into same spot around 5:45am, then again setup the decoys. The weather was nice, no wind, no rain.......and no birds.......... There was no action at all until 10:00am. Around 10:00am, the wind starts and there were some rains. The bird started to flying, but flying too high. They were just flying over my head, I shot them, but too high, they don't come down.... I waited until 12:00am, still unable to get anything, they all fly too high......... So I grab my gear and drive to Cabelas in Abbostford. I bought the Code Black Goose, it says it will extend the shot 70% further, up to 70 yards.....

Oct.12
    I woke up at 4:30am, dressed up my son (8 year old) and left home at 5:00am. Arrived at Boundary Bay Parking lot at 5:45am. Walked into the same spot with my son at around 6:40am (I have to carry him in some spots). There were some wind, but no rain, the weather is awesome... at around 9:00am, my son is bored and wants to go home, so I called my wife and ask her to pick up my son so I can still stay here. My son left around 10:00am, then there is this peaceful day........ no wind, few clouds, perfect sunshine, no birds...... no birds at all........ all the birds are 200 meters into the water having sun bath...... they don't move and they don't fly....... So from 12:00pm to 2:00pm, I took a very nice nap...... in the grass........ I left the area around 6:45pm, did a few shots, but got nothing, they all fly too high.........

In my newbie conclusion:
    1. Never take my son or daughter out for duck/gooyse hunting............ at least not for another year........
    2. Never go out in a sunny day..... I will only go out when there is rain and wind..............

Any other comment you guys want to add for a newbie? I know I just sit in the opening and didn't hide well, but do you guys really think that matters? In Boundary bay, the birds are not going to land in front of you anyway, they just fly over you............

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie's Opening Weekend

JcNemo, I may repeat some of the comments I made to you in message so please bear with me.

1. Congratulations on your first birds downed! It took me three tries when I first started to get anything and it felt completely random at the time. Sometimes it is, as a bird for no apparent reason might come right to you. That happens. But the more you go out the more you will recognize a pattern and know you are doing something right or you recognize the conditions and know you have done all you can to put yourself in a spot for success.

2. Yes, bluebird days - blue sky, no clouds - are not ideal for ducks. Geese are a bit different. They will fly in all sorts of conditions. But the best days are dark days, with low cloud cover, with wind. Basically the weather that makes all humans except for hunters stay home. Saturday began like that but then slowly got 'better' weather. So like you I got success on Saturday. On Monday, it was bright through and through so it was not very productive, though my group were good for five ducks and a goose that day.

3. I would urge you not to sit on that bucket right in the open. With Boundary I have found ducks and geese will just transit the area (fly over) as it is so wide open there is no compelling reason for either ducks or geese to land to feed. So you are always catching them flying over trying to get somewhere else such as the ponds at 64th street or the nearby golf courses and farms or they are coming from the wide open tidal beach where the birds can see you from hundreds of meters away. While that is the current observation, I wonder if they also got that way because hunters do stand or sit in the open without hiding, educating the birds not ever to land there? While that behaviour may not ever change in Boundary, in other places sitting in the open will usually deter adult birds and could spoil the hunt for other hunters who do put in the effort at hiding. Concealment and camouflage are just good habits to have for this game.

By the way, on Saturday I got a mallard as my group were packing up, standing in the open and carrying decoys. A mallard circled us, I shot at it and missed, and thought that was it but then it circled again and came back! I put it down!

When I picked it up I realized the reason. It was a juvenile drake. It may never have been shot at before. I've had that happen a few times .. but those are exceptions. They made for funny stories but they are exceptions measured against all the other times I was only able to get ducks when I got them to decoy.

4. Those decoys look great. I can't pretend to say I have much success with Canadas but for a little effort I think it should provide an edge. Certainly duck decoying is a game changer.

5. Shooting high and sky-busting. I've told you before I think we can do with a lot less of that. On Monday I had a couple good opportunities spoiled because a hunter group further away shot from too far away at birds that were keying on my location. I understand the frustration of only seeing high fliers on certain days but again you are educating them. It is better to put in the effort to try ways of getting the birds to come closer.

As with all things, there are exceptions. I think unless you are on a good farm site or if there are a lot of juveniles, snow geese are difficult to entice to come down. That said, a wildlife researcher told me that this year snowies from Wrangel Island are going to need a lot of culling so for those birds in particular, I'm going to be more liberal in my shooting. But for ducks, definitely give them a chance to come down. It opens up a whole new different art to waterfowling that is rewarding and sporting.

6. Taking a nap in nature is a pleasure!

7. We all start out somewhere. Glad to have you with us.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    JcNemo, I may repeat some of the comments I made to you in message so please bear with me.

1. Congratulations on your first birds downed! It took me three tries when I first started to get anything and it felt completely random at the time. Sometimes it is, as a bird for no apparent reason might come right to you. That happens. But the more you go out the more you will recognize a pattern and know you are doing something right or you recognize the conditions and know you have done all you can to put yourself in a spot for success.

2. Yes, bluebird days - blue sky, no clouds - are not ideal for ducks. Geese are a bit different. They will fly in all sorts of conditions. But the best days are dark days, with low cloud cover, with wind. Basically the weather that makes all humans except for hunters stay home. Saturday began like that but then slowly got 'better' weather. So like you I got success on Saturday. On Monday, it was bright through and through so it was not very productive, though my group were good for five ducks and a goose that day.

3. I would urge you not to sit on that bucket right in the open. With Boundary I have found ducks and geese will just transit the area (fly over) as it is so wide open there is no compelling reason for either ducks or geese to land to feed. So you are always catching them flying over trying to get somewhere else such as the ponds at 64th street or the nearby golf courses and farms or they are coming from the wide open tidal beach where the birds can see you from hundreds of meters away. While that is the current observation, I wonder if they also got that way because hunters do stand or sit in the open without hiding, educating the birds not ever to land there? While that behaviour may not ever change in Boundary, in other places sitting in the open will usually deter adult birds and could spoil the hunt for other hunters who do put in the effort at hiding. Concealment and camouflage are just good habits to have for this game.

By the way, on Saturday I got a mallard as my group were packing up, standing in the open and carrying decoys. A mallard circled us, I shot at it and missed, and thought that was it but then it circled again and came back! I put it down!

When I picked it up I realized the reason. It was a juvenile drake. It may never have been shot at before. I've had that happen a few times .. but those are exceptions. They made for funny stories but they are exceptions measured against all the other times I was only able to get ducks when I got them to decoy.

4. Those decoys look great. I can't pretend to say I have much success with Canadas but for a little effort I think it should provide an edge. Certainly duck decoying is a game changer.

5. Shooting high and sky-busting. I've told you before I think we can do with a lot less of that. On Monday I had a couple good opportunities spoiled because a hunter group further away shot from too far away at birds that were keying on my location. I understand the frustration of only seeing high fliers on certain days but again you are educating them. It is better to put in the effort to try ways of getting the birds to come closer.

As with all things, there are exceptions. I think unless you are on a good farm site or if there are a lot of juveniles, snow geese are difficult to entice to come down. That said, a wildlife researcher told me that this year snowies from Wrangel Island are going to need a lot of culling so for those birds in particular, I'm going to be more liberal in my shooting. But for ducks, definitely give them a chance to come down. It opens up a whole new different art to waterfowling that is rewarding and sporting.

6. Taking a nap in nature is a pleasure!

7. We all start out somewhere. Glad to have you with us.

Thanks for the teaching man... I'll do what I can to improve my skills. I read Dino's post, he got like the limited ducks on the 2nd day and 25 geese.... It makes me wonder if I did something wrong, lol...... I saw his hunting pictures, awesome ducks/geese and nice dog. I used to have a Beagle, but he's the kind that runs away wherever and whenever he wants.... He died at age 13 due to cancer. My daughter is allergic to dogs, so I can no longer have a dog.

I am currently doing my research on geese hunt now......... The geese are awesome....... I want more, lol

Congrats on the birds.

If you can figure out where the birds want to be and pay allot of attention to concealing yourself "brushing in", you will kill birds.

Use the wind to your advantage and set up your decoys accordingly.

Movement and a bright face looking up at the birds will bust you. That terrain you are hunting looks like one of the spots I hunt and a great spot for a layout blind. "Low profile and when brushed in nearly invisible".

Be patient and dont be afraid to let birds pass " even if they are within the outer limit of your range" . I find with ducks, I can usually call these birds back and they often come into the decoys nicely or make a closer pass the second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Congrats on the birds.

If you can figure out where the birds want to be and pay allot of attention to concealing yourself "brushing in", you will kill birds.

Use the wind to your advantage and set up your decoys accordingly.

Movement and a bright face looking up at the birds will bust you. That terrain you are hunting looks like one of the spots I hunt and a great spot for a layout blind. "Low profile and when brushed in nearly invisible".

Be patient and dont be afraid to let birds pass " even if they are within the outer limit of your range" . I find with ducks, I can usually call these birds back and they often come into the decoys nicely or make a closer pass the second time around.
    I am just wondering, how do you position your gun in a layout blind? point to the front a little upward? or all the way up like a flag?

Also, I actually went in a layout blind in Cabelas Abbostford on Saturday. I can only see what is in front of me, and can only shoot in front of me. There is no way I can turn around and shoot behind in a timely manner. Is that normal? so I just set the decoy around me and put a landing area in front of me? So I only shot forward and upward?

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    I am just wondering, how do you position your gun in a layout blind? point to the front a little upward? or all the way up like a flag?

Also, I actually went in a layout blind in Cabelas Abbostford on Saturday. I can only see what is in front of me, and can only shoot in front of me. There is no way I can turn around and shoot behind in a timely manner. Is that normal? so I just set the decoy around me and put a landing area in front of me? So I only shot forward and upward?

There is a bar infront of you it lays on.

You set up to shoot in the direction you expect to be shooting. For me as a right handed shooter, I can cover an arch of about 120 degrees. Yes, they do limit your mobility, but have a low profile, easy to brush in, and conceal most your movement.

Nice harvest there, congrats...

Way to go!

Good work on your outing! Good job at least trying to get the kids out, maybe just not ready yet. Naps in the field or bush are the absolute best naps!
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Great job! Sounds like you had fun out there!

I've been hunting the bay for a few seasons now and you'll find your best days are a combination of high tide around sunrise with heavy wind/rain. Tide more than anything seems to be the most important so I always try to time my hunts around that. Early morning with a low tide can be good but you'll largely just get passing shots as the birds are simply on their way somewhere else.

Don't underestimate using your duck call. You'd be surprised how well it can work with practice. Sometimes you can turn ducks around and other times you can send birds towards your decoys from far off... once you start to get good with calling, its a real game changer.

Also, look into some basic ways of setting up your decoys. You don't want them all bunched up, ducks want a place to land. Do that and you'll have more success. There is nothing cooler than having a squadron of ducks come in with their feet down over top your decoys.

Motion is definitely your enemy. Birds have a sharp eye and can spot things that are off from miles away. Use whatever natural cover is around you and stay hidden.

Be safe and respectful out there and you'll have fun for years to come!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    Hi guys, this year is the first year I started to hunt (due to Covid 19, I have no where to go........). Past weekend is the first time I ever hunted waterfowl.

Oct.10
    I woke up at 3:00am, left home at 3:15am, arrived at the Boundary Bay Parking lot at 4:00am (I don't know when should I go, so the earlier to be safer). I walked into the spot around 4:45, set up 24 canada goose decoys, then wait. Around 6:55am, the shooting hour starts....... I heard a lot of gun shots around me, and I also see a lot of ducks flying around. I saw 1 group flying over my head, I did 3 shot, 2 were down. I was so excited (so I didn't put more ammo into the shotgun) and I run out and try to grab the birds. After I grab the 1st one, I try to get the 2nd one....... then it flied away..... I didn't have any shots in my gun, so I watched it fly away. Then later, there is another group flying, I made 3 shots, 1 duck down. However, it was down about 60-80 yard away from me, into the grass. I searched there for over 30min, nothing find. My friend searched for another 30min, still nothing. Then my dad searched for an hour, nothing, so we give up. All this actions happened in the 1st 1.5 hours. Then there is nothing much.......... Until about 11:00am, a group of geese flied over my head, and I shot down one. This time, I put in shot into my gun first before I run to the goose. It was trying to fly up, so I give it 2 more shots..... and finally picked my first goose in my life........ then I pack up and go home.

Oct.11
    I woke up at 4:00am, left home around 4:15am, arrived at Boundary Bay Parking lot at 5:00am. Walked into same spot around 5:45am, then again setup the decoys. The weather was nice, no wind, no rain.......and no birds.......... There was no action at all until 10:00am. Around 10:00am, the wind starts and there were some rains. The bird started to flying, but flying too high. They were just flying over my head, I shot them, but too high, they don't come down.... I waited until 12:00am, still unable to get anything, they all fly too high......... So I grab my gear and drive to Cabelas in Abbostford. I bought the Code Black Goose, it says it will extend the shot 70% further, up to 70 yards.....

Oct.12
    I woke up at 4:30am, dressed up my son (8 year old) and left home at 5:00am. Arrived at Boundary Bay Parking lot at 5:45am. Walked into the same spot with my son at around 6:40am (I have to carry him in some spots). There were some wind, but no rain, the weather is awesome... at around 9:00am, my son is bored and wants to go home, so I called my wife and ask her to pick up my son so I can still stay here. My son left around 10:00am, then there is this peaceful day........ no wind, few clouds, perfect sunshine, no birds...... no birds at all........ all the birds are 200 meters into the water having sun bath...... they don't move and they don't fly....... So from 12:00pm to 2:00pm, I took a very nice nap...... in the grass........ I left the area around 6:45pm, did a few shots, but got nothing, they all fly too high.........

In my newbie conclusion:
    1. Never take my son or daughter out for duck/gooyse hunting............ at least not for another year........
    2. Never go out in a sunny day..... I will only go out when there is rain and wind..............

Any other comment you guys want to add for a newbie? I know I just sit in the opening and didn't hide well, but do you guys really think that matters? In Boundary bay, the birds are not going to land in front of you anyway, they just fly over you............