Hi guys, this year is the first year I started to hunt (due to Covid 19, I have no where to go........). Past weekend is the first time I ever hunted waterfowl.

Oct.10
I woke up at 3:00am, left home at 3:15am, arrived at the Boundary Bay Parking lot at 4:00am (I don't know when should I go, so the earlier to be safer). I walked into the spot around 4:45, set up 24 canada goose decoys, then wait. Around 6:55am, the shooting hour starts....... I heard a lot of gun shots around me, and I also see a lot of ducks flying around. I saw 1 group flying over my head, I did 3 shot, 2 were down. I was so excited (so I didn't put more ammo into the shotgun) and I run out and try to grab the birds. After I grab the 1st one, I try to get the 2nd one....... then it flied away..... I didn't have any shots in my gun, so I watched it fly away. Then later, there is another group flying, I made 3 shots, 1 duck down. However, it was down about 60-80 yard away from me, into the grass. I searched there for over 30min, nothing find. My friend searched for another 30min, still nothing. Then my dad searched for an hour, nothing, so we give up. All this actions happened in the 1st 1.5 hours. Then there is nothing much.......... Until about 11:00am, a group of geese flied over my head, and I shot down one. This time, I put in shot into my gun first before I run to the goose. It was trying to fly up, so I give it 2 more shots..... and finally picked my first goose in my life........ then I pack up and go home.

Oct.11
I woke up at 4:00am, left home around 4:15am, arrived at Boundary Bay Parking lot at 5:00am. Walked into same spot around 5:45am, then again setup the decoys. The weather was nice, no wind, no rain.......and no birds.......... There was no action at all until 10:00am. Around 10:00am, the wind starts and there were some rains. The bird started to flying, but flying too high. They were just flying over my head, I shot them, but too high, they don't come down.... I waited until 12:00am, still unable to get anything, they all fly too high......... So I grab my gear and drive to Cabelas in Abbostford. I bought the Code Black Goose, it says it will extend the shot 70% further, up to 70 yards.....

Oct.12
I woke up at 4:30am, dressed up my son (8 year old) and left home at 5:00am. Arrived at Boundary Bay Parking lot at 5:45am. Walked into the same spot with my son at around 6:40am (I have to carry him in some spots). There were some wind, but no rain, the weather is awesome... at around 9:00am, my son is bored and wants to go home, so I called my wife and ask her to pick up my son so I can still stay here. My son left around 10:00am, then there is this peaceful day........ no wind, few clouds, perfect sunshine, no birds...... no birds at all........ all the birds are 200 meters into the water having sun bath...... they don't move and they don't fly....... So from 12:00pm to 2:00pm, I took a very nice nap...... in the grass........ I left the area around 6:45pm, did a few shots, but got nothing, they all fly too high.........

In my newbie conclusion:
1. Never take my son or daughter out for duck/gooyse hunting............ at least not for another year........
2. Never go out in a sunny day..... I will only go out when there is rain and wind..............

Any other comment you guys want to add for a newbie? I know I just sit in the opening and didn't hide well, but do you guys really think that matters? In Boundary bay, the birds are not going to land in front of you anyway, they just fly over you............