Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear no good!

Bear no good!

Just got back from clearwater. Skunked .. saw lots of quads.. met some young guys that almost got skunked as well. They shot a bear last day of their hunt but it turned out to be crawling with tapeworms.. right up into the backstraps..wonder how that happens

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear no good!

It could be related to some of the stuff they eat as I have seen them with garbage bags hanging outa their ass.

Lol.

I don’t eat bear. Worms. Trichenosis(I’m sure it’s spelled wrong). That and I haven’t had a good piece of bear meat yet.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

What about pan fried tapeworms.. cooked in bacon fat... mmmmm

Guess I’m gonna eat beans this winter

Just sausage it, and when you eat it think of something else

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Just sausage it, and when you eat it think of something else
    Lol.........
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by djwinthehouse View Post
    Just got back from clearwater. Skunked .. saw lots of quads.. met some young guys that almost got skunked as well. They shot a bear last day of their hunt but it turned out to be crawling with tapeworms.. right up into the backstraps..wonder how that happens
    Heard the story countless times starting from the 60's from many other hunters we met. The bear/their meat, also may stink to high heaven.
    They say the worst tasting ones fed on fish.

I would think that any bear feeding on old rotten carrion would qualify as not edible/horrible tasting.
    Had a few chances over the years to taste bear meat but for the obvious reasons refused.

A bear with tapeworms.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I don’t know where everyone finds these bears that apparently taste bad or are full of worms, myself my better half and the guy I do all my hunting with have tagged and eaten 11 bears and helped with 3 others and each has tasted great, smelt better than any deer we have processed and never saw a worm or anything like that in any of them and we do a lot of the work processing our own animals...

wondering if location plays a big role, and since we hunt pretty high elevation we get good meat ? Would be interesting to know the difference, I dread the day I have to waste an animal because the meat is spoiled.

Likely just filarial worms- harmless. They sometimes come crawling out of the neck, etc a while after it's been skinned.

I say man-up and wipe them off the carcass and eat the ones that remain.
    When in doubt, just pin it.