Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bear no good!

Re: Bear no good!

I normally take 1 bear every spring for eating...and we think it is some the best game meat you can get!

Also we prefer a younger animal in the 150 lb size and not from a drainage that gets rotten from spawned out salmon...

Spring bear is the best meat. No problems here , I prefer it over deer myself
    Member of CCFR

Nice to see so many people realizing this.. seemed like all the good ol boys were dead set against bear meat when I started hunting a few years ago.. everyone I told it was delicious looked at me like I was cock eyed, now a large percent agree... maybe the bear numbers will level out and the ungulates will bounce back !

I politely request to know how you did that roast as it looks bloody delicious.

All my bears, 5-6 of them have all been worm free and taste delicious, spring or fall. The key is to get as far away from towns and salmon streams as possible. All mine have died with bellies stuffed with berries or fresh greens

Arrow Re: Bear no good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    I politely request to know how you did that roast as it looks bloody delicious.
    It was turned into a cured & smoked ham by Pete from Pete's Mountain Meats in Port Alberni.
    Used to do my own, but he excels at this and is relatively inexpensive.

Then slow cooked in a clay baker for a spell.
    T'was marvelous!!

Just for the record, I only shoot fall bears, and those a LONG ways away from any town and well up the hill from any fish bearing water.
    Never had a bad one.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Nog, that looks fantastic. Do you make your own pepperoni and sausage or send that out too?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

My bear spot is approximately 10 square kilometres of saskatoon bushes, it is typical to see 10 or so bears a day while the berries are ripe. The 2 that were taken out of there this year are great eating, even my picky wife enjoyed the slow cooked ribs. If i can find another before snow flies i want to try a standing rib roast. Makes me hungry just thinking about it

Young bear ribs in the pressure cooker (instapot) for 25 minutes and then in the bbq to cook in the bbq sauce is better than any tony roma ribs....

Curious why guys are so pro-cougar on here when cougar will eat almost anything a bear would.

Are cougars not prone to worms and trichinosis? As in, has there ever been any ACTUAL testing?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Curious why guys are so pro-cougar on here when cougar will eat almost anything a bear would.

Are cougars not prone to worms and trichinosis? As in, has there ever been any ACTUAL testing?
    Any carnivore/omnivore is prone to trich. Cougar meat should be fully cooked or cured just as you would bear or pork.
    Not sure if cats get filarial worms or not?

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....