Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bear no good!

Re: Bear no good!

Wow awesome pics Noggin! Looks great!!

We have harvested and consumed 6 bears and have only had one that didn't taste "great". It was perfectly edible, but had a bit of a hint of "wet dog" smell / after taste to it. It wasn't bad any means. A little extra garlic or other spices/flavors made it better. Anyway, 5 great bears and one mediocre one is a pretty decent track record.

I suspect bad tasting deer is a heck of a lot more common than bad tasting bear.

And I prefer deer, because I can eat steaks, steak bites, etc rare... I love tender rare meat. Cant do that with bear, but I'll take ground bear over ground beef any day. We use it for burgers, tacos, burritos, sloppy joes, speghetti sauce etc... great for whatever you would do with ground beef. It can make great roasts or sausages as others mention.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-12-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    could not agree more bear is definitely top 3 game meats for me. White tail bear and elk.. could be a toss up between moose and bear.
    ok, I think you have me sold! Always curious about bear - never had it and don't want to shoot something I won't eat... I've heard fall vs spring bear, fall better if they're away from Salmon rivers and the dump. Do I have that right?
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    Shot 2 Bears in Trout Lk area, both had Filarial Worms. They can be easily removed in their Adult stage. I've not experienced any issues from eating said Bear Meat.
    Oddly that’s the area where the only bear that had filarial worms came from as well.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Bear is near top of the list for my family. Makes awesome sausage, way better than deer for sure.
    I always target bears that are well away from town that are eating primarily greens and/or berries.

Never had one that smelled bad or was wormy.

Nog, that ham looks amazing. I'm punching the bear tag for sure after seeing that.

You are probably right...didn’t see myself but read up on it on the bccdc.

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    ok, I think you have me sold! Always curious about bear - never had it and don't want to shoot something I won't eat... I've heard fall vs spring bear, fall better if they're away from Salmon rivers and the dump. Do I have that right?

you are absolutely correct, up high in the fall when they are feeding on berries they are amazing, best tasting meat and I’ve only harvested large boars and it’s them that taste good so I can only imagine a younger bear !

if you find the fall meat too greasy like I hear the odd person say, then spring hunt them up high at the snow line, the meat is noticeably less greasy.

Other fatty meats like pork are referred to as fatty or rich, not greasy. The whole greasy bear meat thing needs re branding. I love fatty meat and fall bear is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Other fatty meats like pork are referred to as fatty or rich, not greasy. The whole greasy bear meat thing needs re branding. I love fatty meat and fall bear is delicious.

I agree you with completely, just relaying what others tend to say and one way to rectify it if it’s something you don’t like.

oh the white "spirit worms"...heheheheh someone should protect them!!!heheheh

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    This...

Have shot and consumed 15 or so bears. Only one had filarial worms. While a bit gross, they are harmless.
    And of course the meat will be completely cooked to proper temperature so they can rest their minds.
    Plus, that’s what the grinder is for.

SSS