Thread: Qestion for muley experts...

Qestion for muley experts...

Yesterday region 3 - Windy, snow blowing, low visibility hiking in to set up on a clearing where I have seen deer in the past and I blow 4 bucks out of the edge of the clearing at about 30M. I thought my approach was good but they had outsmarted me by positioning on the lee side of the trees on the only possible knoll to see me coming. I thought I could get in and wait for the weather to clear, but the bucks were out anyways. Even then, with the low visibility, they didn't immediately take off. But when they did, it was the whole stomping, snorting production in 2 directions as the group split up. The area went scary silent, like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. 10 min later I could hear a couple moose cracking antlers, and I decided to pull out for the hour hike back to the truck.
    So my question - will the bucks return in a couple of days or are they done with that area? I did my best to back track and disturb the area as little as possible. I thought the fact the moose didn't vacate was a good sign? I want to head back in tomorrow or should I wait until next weekend?
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Qestion for muley experts...

I don't worry about bumping them- it's more important not to push them. So don't go chasing after them if you're working an area you're trying to set up in. 4 bucks is great. I would get back in there with a vantage point early. If you are setting up for evening, you should probably get in there at 14:30 at the latest; and more important than your approach with a good view is the wind. You always have to play the wind. Those windy stormy days can be the best. GL.

Don’t walk like a predator and never take the same route.

Thanks Luckofthedraw. The wind was in my favour, which is why I was able to get so close before they spooked ( I was working the crosswind ). The deer were upwind of the clearing, downwind of the older growth. I usually don't care about moving deer from afar, but I was so close when they spooked, I thought they might react differently.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Don’t walk like a predator and never take the same route.
    Thanks Rageous. I try to not walk like a predator, and not pay attention when deer spot me. Some deer seem to just stare as I walk by, most take off no matter what.

Bow or rifle?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I would go back first thing in the morning, 2 days for sure. I have shot alot of Mulies like that, approach downwind.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Bow or rifle?
    Browning X-Bolt 30-06, Vortex Viper 6x12x40, Hornady eld-x 178 gr. Decent shot offhand to 100 m. Bipod rest to 300 m with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    I would go back first thing in the morning, 2 days for sure. I have shot alot of Mulies like that, approach downwind.

I agree, I have had luck the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by john-brennan View Post
    I agree, I have had luck the next day.
    Mule deer don't just leave an area, even if they have been shot at. If they have a harem then they just won't leave.
    The largest Mule deer buck I have ever laid eyes on my buddy shot in the morning...the previous evening he hit this same buck and only had a few drops of blood... it got dark, he went back the next morning and resumed his search.. looked up and there he was standing there.. he shot it...an absolute cranker..
    Yeah....hang around.