Thread: Cured Roe in a pickle jar?

Cured Roe in a pickle jar?

So I decided to try the Pro-Cure Redd Hot Double Stuff this time instead of Pautzke Balls O'Fire.

Did the jar method. Put them in a clean pickle jar in the fridge. Have to do one more day in the fridge before vacuum packing them.
    Opened the jar up and smells pretty strong like pickles. Didn't smell the jar before putting the curing roe in since the eggs were starting to juice.
    The dry pro-cure doesn't have much of a scent unlike the Pautzke. Maybe its the smell of the cure after it gets wet and into the eggs?

Thoughts on whether that will mess up my chances of getting bites on them, will it make no difference or will it help?

Ekul246
    Last edited by ekul246; 10-10-2020 at 08:34 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cured Roe in a pickle jar?

Freeze it in a zip lock bag first. When its frozen then vacuum pack it. Just make sure you puncture the bag when unthawing or eggs will rupture.

Glass jars are an unnecessary waste of time. Especially in mass curing.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Freeze it in a zip lock bag first. When its frozen then vacuum pack it. Just make sure you puncture the bag when unthawing or eggs will rupture.

Glass jars are an unnecessary waste of time. Especially in mass curing.
    I went with the jar method for curing this time. With the Pautzke I just used a ziplock. Don't see much of a difference between the two. last time I just used the manual button to vacuum pack the unfrozen eggs and sealed when a couple of eggs started to pop. Then put in freezer. I've fished with them this year and they seem all good.

So I just finished the curing process with the roe. Took the skeins out and vacuum packed them. No pickle smell at all. So maybe what I was smelling was the scents from the cure doing it's thing with the eggs?
    Anyways, looking forward to trying them out. Haven't yet had a bite on my Pautzke pink roe that I cured last year this season. But the Pro-Cure Redd Hot Double Stuff eggs look really good!