Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail: Merritt vs Oliver

Whitetail: Merritt vs Oliver

Curious what the group thinks regarding whether whiteys are more prevalent in the Merritt area vs around Oliver (or vice versa). Trying to decide where to go for an antlerless.
    Two trips this year, between princeton and Merritt, have yielded zero muley bucks and no whiteys.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail: Merritt vs Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by ab3 View Post
    Curious what the group thinks regarding whether whiteys are more prevalent in the Merritt area vs around Oliver (or vice versa). Trying to decide where to go for an antlerless.
    Two trips this year, between princeton and Merritt, have yielded zero muley bucks and no whiteys.

I think you just answered your own question if one of the areas you’re asking about you’ve hunted multiple times and came up empty handed.

put in the leg work and you’ll get them though, myself and my hunting partner left home at 2pm today, hiked one old grown in logging road bumped 6 white tail before we got the bead on a nice little buck and dropped him, 7 white tail between 2pm and 630 pm and not a single one would ever be seen from a road, and numerous trucks drove right past the thicket we were hunting and didn’t even give it a second thought.

once you realize that white tails are pocket animals and have a home range it should be a lot easier to hone in on them, if you have the time to drive the extra distance trying somewhere new is always nice, even coming up empty handed is an experience in itself in a new area.

any questions feel free to PM and I’ll help however I can, though I won’t give out specific areas, as actually finding the animals is the most rewarding part of the hunt IMO and I don’t want to take that away from anyone.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 10-10-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Head to the Christian valley area for all your deer hunting needs. Busy yes but for good reason. Lots of deer!
    will find whitetail pretty much everywhere and muleys generally higher up in elevation.

Just came out of Christian Valley. Didn’t see a single deer. It ain’t the holy land anymore...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Just came out of Christian Valley. Didn’t see a single deer. It ain’t the holy land anymore...
    Maybe try a different strategy? The Christian Valley is still thick with whitetails, they just don't stick around long. Go slow and get a bit off the road. They aren't far in. Still some great hunting up the Granby.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Maybe try a different strategy? The Christian Valley is still thick with whitetails, they just don't stick around long. Go slow and get a bit off the road. They aren't far in. Still some great hunting up the Granby.
    I wasn’t actually looking for deer. It was 78* out, and my freezer was full from my Kootenay hunt. But none of the many camps I saw were successful, which given the temps isn’t too surprising. I think the deer were all hiding in the shade. I’m sure it’s livend up a bit with the cooler weather now.

There were a LOT of people in there too (as usual) but not as many as I saw last year. I did clear out before the weekend gong show and antlerless season tomfoolery could start...

But back to the OPs original question, I would probably look up Mt Baldy way if those were my two bases to choose from. I see lots more whitetail in that area than Merritt area.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-11-2020 at 04:27 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I think you just answered your own question if one of the areas you’re asking about you’ve hunted multiple times and came up empty handed.

put in the leg work and you’ll get them though, myself and my hunting partner left home at 2pm today, hiked one old grown in logging road bumped 6 white tail before we got the bead on a nice little buck and dropped him, 7 white tail between 2pm and 630 pm and not a single one would ever be seen from a road, and numerous trucks drove right past the thicket we were hunting and didn’t even give it a second thought.

once you realize that white tails are pocket animals and have a home range it should be a lot easier to hone in on them, if you have the time to drive the extra distance trying somewhere new is always nice, even coming up empty handed is an experience in itself in a new area.

any questions feel free to PM and I’ll help however I can, though I won’t give out specific areas, as actually finding the animals is the most rewarding part of the hunt IMO and I don’t want to take that away from anyone.
    Thanks, Ryo. PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I wasn’t actually looking for deer. It was 78* out, and my freezer was full from my Kootenay hunt. But none of the many camps I saw were successful, which given the temps isn’t too surprising. I think the deer were all hiding in the shade. I’m sure it’s livend up a bit with the cooler weather now.

There were a LOT of people in there too (as usual) but not as many as I saw last year. I did clear out before the weekend gong show and antlerless season tomfoolery could start...

But back to the OPs original question, I would probably look up Mt Baldy way if those were my two bases to choose from. I see lots more whitetail in that area than Merritt area.
    To the op regarding this response . Remember that this area follows into mu-8-12 at a point and it's 4point mule all season. Lots of hunters go home empty handed from these areas .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Oliver is whitetail heartland, Merritt is borderline
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Haha heartland. I know Oliver area very well and it’s not what it used to be.