Thread: most abundant small game in kamloops?

most abundant small game in kamloops?

I recently moved to kamloops and I'm very into small game hunting. Need to put some meat in the freezer and wanted to know what is the most abundant small game in or near kamloops and where (General area) can i go to find them?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: most abundant small game in kamloops?

Grouse, Rabbit, Chukar to list a few! You’re lucky, pick an FSR around Kamloops, head for crown land and you will find something. The grouse are all around us here - I’ve seen and shot them in every MU surrounding Kamloops. Happy Hunting!

Numbers wise you should go for rabbits, a couple places I used to go near loops and you could see 100+ in a night (last hour of hunting light) look for the thickest new growth you can find and walk the roads, rabbit populations fluctuate a lot tho between years so it all depends. Grouse can be found in good numbers as well but Ive seen low numbers this year after the cold wet spring, my dog is flushing lots of adult birds but makes for tough wing shooting. Chukars are fun but its not a meat in the freezer hunt, youll burn triple the calories getting one bird and you really gotta put in the kms.

Firstbloood, nice to know someone else is having a similar experience with the grouse this year, seeing a lot of tail feathers flushing away into the thick stuff! Oh well, keeps the dogs and I in some kinda shape!