Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: opening day

Re: opening day

Nice going! sounds like both you and Jessie had a great day! Are you on salt water or a fresh water slough?

Nice pics Ron!
    We had an epic day. Shot a limit of Mallards and 15 geese!!!! The second best opener for us ever!
    Hunted with my buddy Chris and his son and one of the Jr. hunters from last week. Lots of mallards for the first hour, then we waited for the geese.
    Chris shot a Bibbed mallard or Duclair duck. Second one for him, last one was a hen. We saw one last year but never got a shot, there was a report of one in our area and awesome to see it come in with a flight of about 25 mallards!
    We were hunting with 3 dogs, one just 11 months old. Great we had 3 as it was pretty busy with the ducks! The 11 month old dog was on his second hunt and he's already figured it out, he'll be a beauty!

Buddi doing what she does best!

Well done! What are you using for a camera? Those are great shots, Dan! My cell phone can't take photos like that,,,,,especially ones of flying birds.

Great photos Dano.

I knocked down four yesterday at Brunswick Pt. but also could not retrieve two of them in the tall grass (even after a lot of tromping the grass) so I call it 0-0. Every year I learn the same lesson not to shoot inland in that area in early season.

Here's one I brought home, a juvenile mallard drake that made a suicide circle just as we were standing around packing up. I hit it with my second to last shell that I brought. We all ran out and after packing up hit Bass Pro to up our ammunition. Next time I'll bring two boxes.

https://i.imgur.com/ZISdxZN.jpeg

One of my group made better use of his ammo and was one shy of the limit. That was his personal best.

We downed mallards, wigeon, teal, pintail. Another got the first snowie of the year. Some early snowie flocks were transiting the area, though they were high fliers.

We took out a newbie and he had plenty of chances but needs more work on his shooting. I need to stop paying attention to newbies and shoot better also. Tide was low so nowhere to put our floaters so we had mojos spinning and it got the dumb ones interested enough to do a circle. Lots buzzing in the field. Unfortunately too many skybusters - though I did see more than a handful being dropped from extreme ranges to be fair.

Had a good time yakking with other hunters after. One other got his limit as well.
    Last edited by silveragent; 10-11-2020 at 09:10 AM.

I slept in lol, planned on getting up and going but I was listening to the rain pounding down and decided to blownit off,woke up around 7 and it looked perfect out,wasn't impressed, oh well , I leave tonight for a mulie hunt.

Not to high jack but when is it considered to be raining too much for ducks,still learning lots lol

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post

Not to high jack but when is it considered to be raining too much for ducks,still learning lots lol
    Never too much. On the salt marsh, pissing rain and wind are IMO the best days to hit the marsh. Birds are flying, easy to predict which direction the will try to land from and all the Nancy's stay at home
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-11-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Russm, I go out when I have opportunity, weather be damned! Seriously, though, I did not expect such a beautiful day to develop so we got lucky that it was so comfortable. Blue-bird days (clear sky, no changing weather pattern) are usually not that great unless for geese. Geese don't seem to care but clear days ups the visibility so your camo / hide game has to be better too.

Heavy rain or storm I have not had much luck. If the birds can't fly well it limits their movement. They still have to eat but they may stay closer to their roost.

General 'Vancouver' drizzle for sure I am going out. They are ducks, they are waterproof, they don't care about a little rain.

More important to me is wind. Wind makes the flying easier for birds so they will more likely want to go further afield which may take them into your spot. Wind also moves your decoys and gives them lifelike movement. And for sporting purposes wind makes it more fun.

Perfect days for me are darker days, low cloud cover, wind and high tide so my decoys can be placed right in my lap

Good too know,thanks

REALLY good photos and smiles!! Did you take the pics with a phone or DSLR? The new iPhone 12 is supposed to be announced on Oct 13 and to have a great camera too!

Thanks for sharing

BT

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Nice pics Ron!
    We had an epic day. Shot a limit of Mallards and 15 geese!!!! The second best opener for us ever!
    Hunted with my buddy Chris and his son and one of the Jr. hunters from last week. Lots of mallards for the first hour, then we waited for the geese.
    Chris shot a Bibbed mallard or Duclair duck. Second one for him, last one was a hen. We saw one last year but never got a shot, there was a report of one in our area and awesome to see it come in with a flight of about 25 mallards!
    We were hunting with 3 dogs, one just 11 months old. Great we had 3 as it was pretty busy with the ducks! The 11 month old dog was on his second hunt and he's already figured it out, he'll be a beauty!

"When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

My GSP on full lock with a pheasant with my pards drahtarr right beside her was great too watch ,the Drahtarr made a great retrieve on the bird too,not a waterfowl post but had to share..
    Last edited by Dutch; 10-11-2020 at 05:09 PM.