Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope covers - what's best

Scope covers - what's best

Hi All, I'm looking at scope covers and would like to know what you use - end caps or a cover that goes over the entire scope.

If you use end caps - do you have them on both ends or just the eye-end?

thanks in advance, BR
    forever noob

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope covers - what's best

Use scope defenders on both sides, spend thousands on glass you’d be beyond silly to skip the few bucks it costs to protect it.

flip caps on the non-eye end because that is where rain/snow falls when carrying a rifle.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

not sure which brand scope you have, but I always get the manufactures flip covers, leupold, swaro, leica all make nice aluminum ones...they could fit other brands as well, worth checking

you can also take the scope into a camera store (no rifle of course lol) and ask them to try and find a lens filter that fits, usually $20-40 depending on brand and size, UV filter, polarized, etc....this way you are only putting wear and tear on your filter lense while hunting, and the scope objective glass stays near flawless for much longer.....leupold makes these filters as well, but priced a lot higher than a generic camera filter

I think you will hear mixed opinions on scope covers, some guys say they miss animals when you're too slow flipping the cover open....for my style, the scope covers are great for hiking and transport, when I'm actually hunting the covers are open and ready to go
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    flip caps on the non-eye end because that is where rain/snow falls when carrying a rifle.
    Al - In SCOPE language its called a OBJECTIVE lens RJ

Unless it's super crappy weather, I don't use anything. If its pissing out, I'm busting bush, my rifle is on my pack because I'm hiking somewhere or on my quad I just use a neoprene cover that slips over the entire scope.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-08-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Al - In SCOPE language its called a OBJECTIVE lens RJ
    Ya'll fancy with your special word talk
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Unless it's super crappy weather, I don't use anything. If its pissing out, I'm busting bush, my rifle is on my pack because I'm hiking somewhere or on my quad I just use a neoprene cover that slips over the entire scope.
    I do the same with mine

Butler creek and electric tape.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!