Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light weight Tikka project–what scope? Swaro z3? Leupold vx3i? Others?

Light weight Tikka project–what scope? Swaro z3? Leupold vx3i? Others?

My tikka is a shooter but I want to lighten it up for backpacking and alpine hunting, I’ve got a wildcat lightweight stock coming, and I’ll put a muzzle break on in to lessen the kick at the range, but what scope do you guys suggest? I’ve got around $1000 to spend, thinking z3 3-10X42 or vx3i 4.5-14x40 or 3.5-10x40. Anyone have experience with any of these? Is the 4.5-14 good out to 14? They all weight around 13 oz which is what I want to keep it at or under.
    Thanks for any input!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Light weight Tikka project–what scope? Swaro z3? Leupold vx3i? Others?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Tree View Post
    My tikka is a shooter but I want to lighten it up for backpacking and alpine hunting, I’ve got a wildcat lightweight stock coming, and I’ll put a muzzle break on in to lessen the kick at the range, but what scope do you guys suggest? I’ve got around $1000 to spend, thinking z3 3-10X42 or vx3i 4.5-14x40 or 3.5-10x40. Anyone have experience with any of these? Is the 4.5-14 good out to 14? They all weight around 13 oz which is what I want to keep it at or under.
    Thanks for any input!
    I’ve got a vx3i cds 3-9x40 on my Tikka t3 lite and it’s a joy to carry. I’ve done 16-20km hikes with it and I barely notice it on my shoulder.

I had a z3 3-9x36 on my lightened T3, it was a perfect match. I now have a vx5hd on it, and it looks like a telescope on my rifle, but it lets me see a little further, and dials. Though the leupold is a very nice scope, I’d have to say I prefer the z3, I may swap out the leupold for a z5 some day.

I have a Wildcat stocked Superlite T3X in 7-08 with a Leupold 4.5 x 14 30 MM CDS side Focus in Talleys Total weight is 103 Ozs Rifle with out Scope and rings is 87 oz RJ

Oh yeah ok, that’s good to know, I’m leaning towards the leupold 4.5-14 but sounds like I have to give the z3 serious consideration... RJ how is that scope at the further magnifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Tree View Post
    Oh yeah ok, that’s good to know, I’m leaning towards the leupold 4.5-14 but sounds like I have to give the z3 serious consideration... RJ how is that scope at the further magnifications?
    Do you mean is it OK ? on 12-14 x ? Yes it is ! RJ

Yes RJ I was wondrous if it was nice and crisp at 14, sounds like it is!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

The Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 ZL-CDS Duplex 30mm tube side focus scope is IMHO (and for my eyes) the best compromise for a lightweight hunting/long range shooting scope, with Talleys it adds just under 1 lb to you rifle,

The Leupold 3.5-10x40 and the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 are also awesome lightweight options, optically I would give the nod to the Z3 but both are excellent lightweight options.

One thing to watch on the Z3 is the BRX reticle option, if you like that style of reticle its very faint and I lose it at low light, get the BRH (Heavy) if you go for this reticle style.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

If you're counting ounces, try to find a used Leupold Vx2 2-7x33
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    If you're counting ounces, try to find a used Leupold Vx2 2-7x33
    I just mounted that Model on my new Kimber Hunter 06 ! RJ