Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Argo or SxS?

Argo or SxS?

My 2009 Yamaha Rhino has done everything I've ever asked it but I've started to ponder upgrading it with something new.

I've been looking at the new Yamaha and Honda offerings and was shocked at how much they have risen in price. Then I looked at the Argo and was flabbergasted at their cost. The highest end model is some $41,000!

Are they that much better? I've never been in one but they look way less comfortable than a SxS.

Is the Argo better suited to tundra and muskeg? I'd like to hear from any owners or users.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Argo or SxS?

There are places where an Argo on tracks is the only vehicle that go there, like muskeg up north. A hunter used on to get the elk out this fall. My partner had his quad flip trying to use the trail they cut. He wasn't on it at the time. A SxS is limited on ground clearance and trail width . I've used my skid plates to skid, and I've have touched both trees with my quad. Depends on where you wish to hunt.

Yeah, I'm thinking they are the ticket for the muskeg but for anything else the edge seems to go the the SxS. My Rhino has gone some crazy places and hauled some big loads.

I'd like to be able to get into my cabin in the winter when the road is snowed in, so something with tracks is nice. The Argo track system looks more simple than the SxS systems.

I have both, a quad and an argo. They both have their place depending on terran. The argo is much slower but will cross water (slowly)and drive over muskeg that I couldn't walk on. Overloaded a bit but I have hauled out a northern moose, the camp and two people on one trip over muskeg. The quad is way faster and will haul a half of a moose. On my tips up north I take both...as Downwindtracker said...depends on where you wish to hunt.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

The right tool for the right job. Depends where you hunt and ground conditions. ATV and SXS can have pretty much same clearance, but utv anywhere from 50" to 65" wide, I have owned 18 off road units and 3 of those were 8 x 8 argos. It was amazing what you could climb and side hill without worry of going over, but have also had them high centered on rocks and stumps. The argo's I had were all used and older, so had problems, I am betting a newer machine with tracks will serve most of us until we die. The option of going through water is a big plus in moose country. It is really hard to compare atv/utv to argo since one is also a boat lol. But if you primarily use for hunting and not weekend running around mountains then a newer used argo and tracks is prob be the way to go, that will prob run you around the same money as a new side by side.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Ask me next year .... I bought tracks for my sxs .... don't like getting stuck in Big snow with the ski doo .....

My problem isn’t deep snow on the way to the cabin, nothing that would get a mountain sled stuck, the problem is there isn’t enough snow on the whole trip. Near Lillooet so not much snow at lower elevations. And I HATE the sound of skis on gravel.

Al what about track kit for your Yammy Rhino SxS ? then you can run on dirt or snow ? RJ

My vote is one of each!

I went through this debate a few years back with my brother. A comment that stuck in my head afterwards was that if you are on a road/trail the ATV or SxS is the right answer. If you are off trails (swamps, bog and even through forest or brush) then an Argo is the answer.

I’ve had all 3 and you can’t really compare them. Different tools for different jobs. If you don’t need a Argo though to get around where you go, then there is no plus to having one. Conversely, if you need to go through water or Muskeg, a quad or sxs is not the ticket.

If you go 15km into the bush on a Argo and back out in a day the next day is pretty much a write-off. They are brutal and I’ve driven everything from a 6x6 Bigfoot to a new Avenger XTI. Where I go I need one but and if that wasn’t the case I’d never have one.

2 years ago I started building my own version of a Sherp but with a steering axle. My buds call it the welfare Sherp and while it won’t cost anywhere near what a Sherp costs once it’s done it will be anything but cheap...