Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Argo or SxS?

Re: Argo or SxS?

Google Rhino p/strg kit and look for best price, lots out there.

And me? I’m thinking Rokon.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    That looks pretty badass for a home build!

What's the specs on that bad boy? Can't tell if the tires are smaller than Sherpa or just spaced further apart.

What are you going to power it with?
    The pic doesn’t show it but the drivetrain is all done.
    2.2L Ecotec with a tuned ECM and stand alone harness
    4T40-E transaxle with a welded 3.8:1 differential
    The motor/transaxle is over the rear axle
    Mid mounted Samurai transfer case 1.3:1 high range
    Brakes off the transfer case
    Rear Dana 60, narrowed to 54” wheel surface to wheel surface, Detroit locker, 35 spline 1-1/2” 300m axle shafts, 5.29 gears
    Front Ford Kingpin Dana 60, narrowed 54”, Reid racing knuckles, 35 spline 1-1/2” 300m inner and outer axle shafts, drive flanges, ox locker, 5.29 gears
    Custom high steer with rear facing arms so the Ackerman angle is correct and all steering components are protected, PSC 8” double acting ram, full PSC hydraulic steering system
    Full 3-piece belly skid plate that fully protects the diff pinions
    Tires are Russian made 52”x27” wide low impact units, they are rated between 1 and 11 psi
    Custom double headlock wheels made specifically for these tires

It’s been a 2 year labour of love. I’ve spared no expense and bought the best equipment I could. When I’m 50km out in the Muskeg I don’t want to be reminded where I went cheap.

I’ve been in 2 Sherps. They are very capable but maintenance is like a Argo, just 10x as expensive. Skid steer has its place but it’s not for me. They are also very complicated if you look at their drivetrain. Rough Riders in Fort Mac has a fleet and they always have a few broke down waiting on parts and guess where they come from...?

Had a Rocon at one time, very rough ridding and very slow. If you can hang on it will go just about anywere.
    would not buy another one.

Yes a person needs an Argo, a side by side, and a Quad! Oh yeah, and a river boat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    I have been on close to 20 feet of snow with tracks on rode on them for 15 years, I have pulled out dozens of snow mobiles cause they were stuck. You do not just put tracks on and become unstoppable there is a learning curve to it for sure.
    20 feet of compact coast snow is probably a little different than where I used them. I'm not sure what the learning curve is? I've had sleds for 30 years and never had much for problems. Sure they worked ok in ideal snow conditions with the bike pinned wide open going maybe 20km/h. Overflow on lakes just don't even try.
    I'm going to be happy to be back on a 800 summit this winter without the worry of burying the thing taking hours to dig out!

Argo: Rough to ride. Only way to save your back is low tire pressure then you start popping beads. Argo with tracks in snow; great until you have to climb a hill then screwed. Break down in a swamp kms from no where you better have a buddy to get you out. High maintenance. Sorry, no thanks.

SXS Speedy, too wide for getting game out sometimes. Ask me. I just spent a grand fixing mine up from retrieving my son's elk. Comfortable but cold without a cab & heater. Nice for two people. No need for tub trailer. Can drive comfortably many hours. Can go through more than a quad with the exception that a quad stays on top in a swamp better.

Quad: Nimble & can get in tight spots. Get tired steering but if power steering then great. Not good for two people. Put wide tires on it & it goes through swampy conditions pretty good. Pretty much need a tub trailer for game retrieval but not always.

Lots of trade-offs & no one machine will be best in all situations.