Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Argo or SxS?

Re: Argo or SxS?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    My problem isn’t deep snow on the way to the cabin, nothing that would get a mountain sled stuck, the problem is there isn’t enough snow on the whole trip. Near Lillooet so not much snow at lower elevations. And I HATE the sound of skis on gravel.
    If you get into deep snow the sxs or quad tracks are useless. Learned my lesson last winter, when you get stuck you really get stuck. So glad I was able to sell them!

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    If you get into deep snow the sxs or quad tracks are useless. Learned my lesson last winter, when you get stuck you really get stuck. So glad I was able to sell them!

What are you calling deep snow ? Wouldn't it be also to do with the snow type ? RJ

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    I have been on close to 20 feet of snow with tracks on rode on them for 15 years, I have pulled out dozens of snow mobiles cause they were stuck. You do not just put tracks on and become unstoppable there is a learning curve to it for sure.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Originally Posted by tipper

Pioneerman says : I have been on close to 20 feet of snow with tracks on rode on them for 15 years, I have pulled out dozens of snow mobiles cause they were stuck. You do not just put tracks on and become unstoppable there is a learning curve to it for sure.

Wow ! That's a BIG difference in OPINION or is it KNOWLEDGE ? in that answer !
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post

Wow ! That's a BIG difference in OPINION or is it KNOWLEDGE ? in that answer ! [/COLOR] RJ
    Opinions on tracks change depending on the kind of snow RJ.

I’ve been equally impressed and disappointed in their performance at times, and it all depended on the kind of snow you were in. On the Island in heavy snow they sat right on top and you could go anywhere. Fluffy stuff and they just got buried.

The one consistent fact though is people who sell them all praise their use and I don’t think that’s solely based on them knowing how to use them.

Fuzzy, if you were making those on a production line I'd be in line for #2. Looks absolutely amazing. I was hoping to hear your input on this thread. I've pondered the Sherp. They look cool but not really practical for where I travel/hunt. Too damn big. I daydream about hunting/floating some of the big rivers in one but I don't think they are really well suited to that yet.

RJ, after all is said and done I will probably just get tracks for my Rhino. I've heard they can be hard on the machine but I'm old enough and slow enough to make my equipment last a bit longer.

The new SxS are just too modern for me. I don't want driver-adjustable shocks, or different ride settings, intelligent 4wd or an integrated stereo. All shit that would break. Power steering would sure be nice though.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Albravo2 I installed an aftermarket electric power strg unit on my 2009 Rhino and it works great. Kit is about $700
    and not hard to install.

Quote Originally Posted by robert05 View Post
    Albravo2 I installed an aftermarket electric power strg unit on my 2009 Rhino and it works great. Kit is about $700
    and not hard to install.
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. Where did you get the kit?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

That looks pretty badass for a home build!

What's the specs on that bad boy? Can't tell if the tires are smaller than Sherpa or just spaced further apart.

What are you going to power it with?

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I have been in powder snow and had it coming over front rack of atv. So close to 3 feet or powder, it was cutting through like a boat in water. The trouble was we could only go so far before air intake would plug and had to clean it so not the best conditions. But a light fluffy dump of snow does not stay that way it does settle. An Argo with tracks would be on top of that far better than a atv or a sled simple becasue of flotation surface area.

Fuzzy you are right people that do sell them will praise them for sure, the difference is not all sales people ever used them. I heard a lot of lies from dealerships on how they are unstoppable and can climb walls, they are good, but not that good. I sold them for 15 years also all over the country and over seas, but I used all the brands, and I did sell them also, but I would not recommend them all and I was familiar with what worked best. Just like any consumer, they will argue they know what they need and you offer to supply them with product they demand. Even when other things are better and often less money, but people get swayed by friends opinions or internet posts. They all work but some far better than others. I have been out of it for over 5 years but they do perform amazingly well under most conditions, but they are not anywhere nearly as fast as a sled and they will sink unlike a argo lol
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."