Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse 12 ga shell questions

Grouse 12 ga shell questions

I have been hunting Grouse for the first time with no. 7.5 and no.6 both in 2 3/4 shell and they were relatively easy to kill at 20 yards or less. The problem was when I was shooting between 20 to 40 yards. I was not able to kill any grouse, I failed 3 of 3 when they were not moving... with an improve cylinder choke.

Should I use 3 inches shells for the distances between(20 to 40 yards)?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse 12 ga shell questions

Use a full choke

I use a mod or full choke
    Last edited by mikeman20; 10-06-2020 at 06:59 PM.

I’ve never shot grouse with a 12. 12s are for pushing heavier pellets. Shooting 7 1/2s out of a 20 will pattern much better than a 12. Probably not too helpful to you now unless you’re looking for a reason to get a new gun.

Use a 22.

If you don't want pellets in the breast. Use 7.5 or 8, 2 3/4 in your 12 ga. Walk right at them till they fly, and them shoot them out of the air.

If you're set on shooting standing grouse (sluice) with a 12 ga, buy some paper plates and staple them to trees 20-40 yards and learn exactly where to aim to hit them in the head and not the body. Different brands of ammo might pattern different out of your gun. Turkey hunting from a bait stand tip.

Re-read you OP and it sounds like you haven't shot much. Practice up and learn your gun.

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I gave up on the 12 for grouse, I really like the 20 better.
    I used 7.5 in the 12 with a full or mod choke.
    In the 20 I used imp cylinder or mod with #6

Xxx turkey choke #6 shot
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

First thing to do is to pattern your gun. Use a pattern board or large piece of cardboard. Put a dot in the center and stand back at 20 yds. Shoot some shells and look at pattern density. Try a couple of different chokes. You will find that some shell brands pattern better than others. Find something your gun likes. As far as chokes goes, I would recommend a modified choke. The more open choke you are using will work but pattern density will suffer at distance. Also keep in mind that if you are shooting all your birds on the ground they will be harder to kill at distance as their wings are not extended. Birds in the air are easier in my mind to dispatch. The best option in my opinion is to have the forcing cone on your gun removed or opened up. Best thing there is to improve pattern density.

You fellas are recommending to the OP a 20 gauge can you recommend a good make . Are there ones with interchangeable chokes ? Maybe the two of us will learn something !
    Arctic Lake
    Thank You
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

My favourite grouse gun is my old Stevens SXS 12ga made around 1916, it's choke is open and more open. It's marked Mod. but just looking at it it's far more. After using this gun for years I know where it shoots and I always aim a little high using #5's or #6's and mostly just hit the head without much wastage. And Arctic lake I have a Beretta A400 Explor 20ga. 26 in.barrel semi auto loader, the gun weigh's less than 6lbs., it's a great field gun and it's my go to field gun, it came with 3 chokes F,M,C. It's chamber for 2 3/4in. and 3in. I love to pack it for Pheasants in Alberta, 3in in #4's or#5's knocks them down pretty good.