Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grouse 12 ga shell questions

Re: Grouse 12 ga shell questions

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Does no one use a 410 for Grouse. Holy smokes a 12 gauge any shot size is plenty for them. I use a 12 or 20 gauge for pheasant but make sure theres some distance out before shooting. Know your gun and its pattern , shoot some Clays once your connecting on them your ready for any flush.
    I have shot them with a 410. It's a fun round. I imagine winging grouse with 410 would be more difficult (though I have never tried)

12ga with a modified choke seems to work great. So far I have shot a few dozen with the 12ga and never put more than 2 pellets in (through) the breast. I have missed some close up grouse where I try to aim high. I actually ordered a IC and Skeet choke recently to see if that makes shooting close birds easier. I know it will be at the expense of longer shots and I'll kick myself when those opportunities are presented... but overall since most are within 25, IC or Skeet might be more appropriate. I guess I will find out soon.

I love the 410. Im not saying i don't miss my fair share either, I just like the lightweight and challenge.Ruffies are my favourite upland game bird to eat , excluding Turkey because it takes 12-14 yrs now to get drawn in Alberta.

startes hunting ducks and grouse...killed lots as others have said pattern your gun on some cardboard....the triick is to figure out the bottom..i always aimed high to just catch the head with a couple of bbs always had 2 7 1/2 with a #6 forpneflying away..criticalto know your pattern
    ps my choke is mod
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-15-2020 at 05:03 PM.

test pattern on paper first and with different chokes like some have already said we just paper tested the wife and found that she is aiming left and low so am going to add a rear sight mark and see if that will help her out and if that does not work I will add proper sights...

I use 3 1/2" BBB or T steel shot out of a .730" choke in my Gold 10. Works well on grouse out to 50 yards. Also coyotes

The pellets always pass through

I run a 20 gauge over under, first shot over barrel IC choke, next barrel M choke (incase I miss with the first shot ) 7.5 2 3/4 shells